The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

There was a thread a while back that was similar, but it never real caught on.

Anyone have any opinions on the SV20 combo, or perhaps head? I am thinking of the combo as my current setup I really like (CPRRI with an always on Catalinbread DLSmk3) but would like to try something that sounds similar or even a bit more 'rock'. I like the portability of a combo as I play out pretty regular.

I like the idea of the 5w mode and I am fortunate that I can practice in my basement at reasonable levels, i.e. I keep my Princeton on 4.5 most of the time. I'm not sure I can deal with no reverb, but I guess the space I free up on my pb with no DLS I could add a reverb pedal. I think with the separate channels I could cram a vocal mic into one too? I do that on my PR and its not great, but its better than hauling a PA for the types of gigs I play.

I am waiting for it to go on sale or find a used one before I make my final decision. I know Erikson is sitting on a pile of these things, so I think there may be sales coming.

Thoughts?
C

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I played the combo at L&M Cobourg and I liked it a lot. It was comparable to a PR in terms of volume, but Marshalls don't fart out when you push them.

I would bet you could get just as good a deal on a kit build by Moratto. I've seen a number of lower wattage Marshall builds in the classifieds in the past few months.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Does the combo have a 10" speaker? That'd be a bit of a deal breaker for me, personally. The head on the other hand... It's a the only amp I find myself currently interested in that I don't have. I messed around with the SC20 as I was a jcm800 guy for years and was pretty impressed.

Either way though, these are loud amps. As long as you're able to make some noise in whatever your living situation is, I can't see how it wouldn't be a good time.

Not sure plugging a mic into one of the inputs is going to work; to get the most out of the amp you're going to want to jump the two channels so you can fine tune with both input volumes.

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, I will go and try one out, but you don't really get a feeling for volume in the guitar store as its so big inside. I play my Princeton about the volume were if you stand too close your pants move a bit, so I should be OK.

Cheers
C

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No one else? I figured there would be several people here who use them.
C

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I have the 1x10 SC20C - JCM 800. I love it! Captures that JCM tones in spades, pairs so well with a Boss SD1. If the SV is anything like it then I’d assume its got that Plexi tone down pat as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts