The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been wanting one of these for a while and saw they wouldn't be available at long and mcquade until the winter. Thought I would check back on their website today. To my surprise the head jumped in price from 1499$ to 1799$ and combo 1699 to $1999? Guess I should have put one on order a month ago....seems like a bit of a jump to me...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Still kicking myself that I missed out on a used SV20H at one of my local stores when they were selling it for $1099...by the time I decided to go for it, it was gone :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still kicking myself that I missed out on a used SV20H at one of my local stores when they were selling it for $1099...by the time I decided to go for it, it was gone :(
Ya I had one ordered, and a coupe weeks ago decided I would use the money on something else, and now this! Kicking myself too!

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
I was really interested in these but have come to the conclusion that as much as I like Marshalls, I like them when other people are playing them. I simply cannot make them sound good so they clearly aren't the right amps for me. Orange amps seem to work much better for me than Marshalls do.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was really interested in these but have come to the conclusion that as much as I like Marshalls, I like them when other people are playing them. I simply cannot make them sound good so they clearly aren't the right amps for me. Orange amps seem to work much better for me than Marshalls do.
I think that's generally true for any gear that I get :LOL: :ROFLMAO: . It never sounds as good as it did in that YouTube review by <insert favourite YT'er here>

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I have the head version and it’s one of the best amps I’ve ever purchased. I used to have 100w Silver Jubilee as well as 1959HW but I don’t really feel drop off in terms of tone. In fact it fits my needs much better. They absolutely did the right thing by putting EL34s instead of EL84s IMO. Since no retailers in Canada currently has the amp as far as I know, even used ones are not so cheaper than brand new these days. Hopefully they will get cheaper once retailers have some back in stock. Good luck hunting!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the head version and it’s one of the best amps I’ve ever purchased. I used to have 100w Silver Jubilee as well as 1959HW but I don’t really feel drop off in terms of tone. In fact it fits my needs much better. They absolutely did the right thing by putting EL34s instead of EL84s IMO. Since no retailers in Canada currently has the amp as far as I know, even used ones are not so cheaper than brand new these days. Hopefully they will get cheaper once retailers have some back in stock. Good luck hunting!
Im dying to try one! Long and mcquade had none in stock for the longest time. i checked last week and 4 stores had them, with the marked up price... might be a good time for me to go test drive one!

·
Registered
60 Posts
There must be something going on with UK based amp manufacturers and pricing because Orange Amps have also increased their pricing. I bought my Orange TH30 head 3 years ago for $1299 (I remember it was priced $1349 at L&M). The same amp is currently listed on L&M for $1619. Even a Rockerverb 50MKIII has jumped to $2749 from around $2300.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
There must be something going on with UK based amp manufacturers and pricing because Orange Amps have also increased their pricing. I bought my Orange TH30 head 3 years ago for $1299 (I remember it was priced $1349 at L&M). The same amp is currently listed on L&M for $1619. Even a Rockerverb 50MKIII has jumped to $2749 from around $2300.

The exchange rate factors in. It is bad right now. Being British I buy stuff from there regularly, and the exchange can be killer.

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,600 Posts
Yeah, prices are going up seemingly to the extent that you have to buy now if you want something because next time you look it might be more than you wanna pay.

Cosmo had a Blues Reunion bag for a 335 for about 180 and I like them so was thinking about it but right now not playing out so put it off - looked a few weeks ago and the price is about 230 or something and that's probably for the same case that they had when I first looked at it.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
Without getting political, the news feeds look convincing unless it's all fake news and those photos are not taken in the UK.

You didn't answer the question - what does Brexit have to do with price increases on British made amps?

As for Brexit itself, while it did have an effect on the number of EU nationals doing trucking jobs there are plenty of people who could take those jobs but it is easier to sit on benefits, including Covid benefits, than it is to get off one's arse and go out to work so those jobs go unfilled. To blame shortages on Brexit is simplistic and demonstrates a lack of understanding of the situation. It is a more complex issue than that. Idiots panic buying also plays a role, just as it did here with toilet paper when we went into lockdown. There were no shortages, but people were panic buying as if there were and that resulted in there being none on the shelves when there was plenty available in the supply chain.

And as usual, the media is playing up shortages and making it seem as if they are occurring everywhere. They aren't. Nobody I've spoken to in the UK has had any major issues, and I last spoke to someone there just yesterday.

·
Registered
1965 Fender Mustang, Ampegs, anything to test an amp.
1,673 Posts
You didn't answer the question - what does Brexit have to do with price increases on British made amps?

As for Brexit itself, while it did have an effect on the number of EU nationals doing trucking jobs there are plenty of people who could take those jobs but it is easier to sit on benefits, including Covid benefits, than it is to get off one's arse and go out to work so those jobs go unfilled. To blame shortages on Brexit is simplistic and demonstrates a lack of understanding of the situation. It is a more complex issue than that. Idiots panic buying also plays a role, just as it did here with toilet paper when we went into lockdown. There were no shortages, but people were panic buying as if there were and that resulted in there being none on the shelves when there was plenty available in the supply chain.

And as usual, the media is playing up shortages and making it seem as if they are occurring everywhere. They aren't. Nobody I've spoken to in the UK has had any major issues, and I last spoke to someone there just yesterday.
When a country's economy begins to loose stability, the price of everything increases...just look at Lebanon right now.

·
Registered
10,925 Posts
When a country's economy begins to loose stability, the price of everything increases...just look at Lebanon right now.

Hardly a fair comparison though is it? And Britain's economy is not losing stability - in typical British fashion (well modern British fashion) people are overreacting while being egged on by the gutter press. If people were to just relax and buy gas like they normally do, there wouldn't be any issues.

And as I said, the issues that do exist aren't widespread. My cousin's husband (in Scotland) is retired and travels a lot. Due to Covid restrictions he has been traveling in the UK and he is making day trips (or slightly longer trips) by car two or three times a week. He isn't having any trouble getting gas for the car.

I was speaking to my PhD supervisor yesterday. He is in the Midlands and was taking a weekend car trip with his wife and kids. He had no concerns about gas.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Wow. I bought my combo a couple of months ago when they were $1699. Glad I didn't wait.

I think it's the best Marshall I've ever owned, but IMO you should add the cost of a good attenuator if you don't already have one.

Reactions: Scott25
1 - 20 of 20 Posts