The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been gassing for marshall sv20 head, mainly cause it is a lower wattage plexi and just the tones it can do (mainly going by youtube). Ive been looking for one to rent to make sure it is a good decision to buy.
To fund it i will most likely offload my kemper but then im thinking…. Are there any good plexi profiles that I may like instead?
I found one from the amp factory 67 plexi that sounds great. However, im a big fan of tube amps but also like the kemper for versatility.
Since i will be playing at home mostly and through headphones, my worry is i wont be able to get the juicy overdriven tones at home without getting arrested. Meaning when i want to run it through my cab. I have a two notes captor and cab M that i use for attenuation if needed and load box for headphone listening. Anyone tried this amp at home and how does it fair? I haf a similar thread about a bluesbreaker but that amp sold before i could really make a move. ☹

·
Premium Member
3,296 Posts
The SV20H will blow the windows out by the time you crank it to get that classic Plexi sound. I wouldn’t consider it a home use amp without an attenuator, which it sounds like you have. I rented the SC20C JCM800 version for a bit to see if I could get some nice cranked sounds at home with the master volume. It was a great-sounding amp, but in my small office where I have my music gear, it was still getting to around 100 db in the room with peaks going higher when it got that “sweet spot” sound, even on the low watt setting. My ears would ring and I’m sure the neighbours didn’t love it, either.

For my cranked Plexi or JCM800 sounds at home, I now rely on my Helix with PowerCab and I have been quite happy with it. I still get the itch for the Marshall Studio quarter stacks because they are damn cool, but I realize it’s not the right gear for my situation.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I attenuate my SV20C for gigs (we mic everything) and practices. I don't use it at home. I run it cranked to get the tone I want, you'd have to really attenuate it for home use. Sure you could, but my gut feeling is you are probably further ahead with the Kemper.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow. The last few responses are very appreciated. Just what I wanted to hear. Meaning, not buying/selling gear because I already have something worthy. Thank you all for that info. I definately wont be able to crank it to get the overdrive that i need, one crappy part with the captor is that it only drops the db’s down 20db and its not adjustable. So that wont help me at all and i will most likely be disappointed.
I have the TJ plexi already and it sounds good, I prefer the amp factory one but i will dial in the top jimmy one again with your info. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts