The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again , being a huge marshall fan and a lover of the kt-88 tube , I was wondering if anyone has anyone had the quest to build a 100watt version of the 200w major . I am in the process of aquiring parts to buuld this beast with merron custom wound trannys , tesla kt88 tubes , all iska resistors and mustard caps , F&T filtering . nos pre tubes , housed in a jcm 800 chassis going to be 600 volts plus plate voltage , looking for a real schematic for the build , as there are many online that are wrong , im looking for the accurate one

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
sounds like a cool project!!

Merren transformers too...wow. I'm sure it will sound amazing

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Wanted to build a mini Major a few years ago
a friend of mine has one , two KT88's is aroind
70 watts with ultra linear transformer,
think I still have his gut pictures but not sure.

He nails Blackmore like you wouldn't believe!

His name is Max and here he is playing,

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
IMG_0673.JPG
IMG_0674.JPG
these are the newly made merren audio transformers for my mini major build c/w new kt88's and a custom badge made . the build is going to be done by steve moratto of moratto amps in ajax ontario , killer marshall plexi builder .

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
View attachment 114049 View attachment 114057 View attachment 114049 View attachment 114057 these are the newly made merren audio transformers for my mini major build c/w new kt88's and a custom badge made . the build is going to be done by steve moratto of moratto amps in ajax ontario , killer marshall plexi builder .
I use a quad of those same NOS military grade ( thicker glass) Teslslovak KT-88s in my Sunn 1200s. They're pretty tasty. Very beefy; more so than the stock GE 6550s that were in there when I got it. A bit looser vs controlled but not to a bad degree, just in terms of comparison.

Cool project; will be watching.

two KT88's is aroind
70 watts with ultra linear transformer.
The spec sheet for the KT-88 says Pout can be 100 watts in fixed bias ultralinear mode (50 in cathode bias) - see pg 4 here: http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/kt88.pdf. Sunn called it 60 ( but that was because the spec for the 2x15 JBLs was 25 To 30 each and they didn't want people to think the speaker was under- rated).

From my experience with a quad in my Sunn ( also ultralinear) it is definitely closer to 200 vs the 120 rating, based off running other amps into the same cab.

Reactions: Louis

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG
i

im only running 2 kt88's ultra linear 650 volts on the plates possibly a little more , not shure what steve will build ,and how he will set it up to run at high voltage ,but I want it as high as possible to get that major tone .

·
Premium Member
3,153 Posts
im only running 2 kt88's ultra linear 650 volts on the plates possibly a little more , not shure what steve will build ,and how he will set it up to run at high voltage ,but I want it as high as possible to get that major tone .
According to that spec sheet above, 100 watts can be had from a pair with 560V on the plates, so 650 should easily get you there. Note; higher plate voltage <> better tone. My Sunn runs em at 500V according to the schem (but likely higher IRL). The max rating is 800, so it's safe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you source the transformers? They look like Heyboers!

chriss merren of merren audio wound me a both trannys for the major build , his pwr tranny has taps for 460/560 volts , so im trying out another tranny from hammond 1st that supposed to have 600 v plus , I have to measure it once its going

1 - 11 of 11 Posts