The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello again , being a huge marshall fan and a lover of the kt-88 tube , I was wondering if anyone has anyone had the quest to build a 100watt version of the 200w major . I am in the process of aquiring parts to buuld this beast with merron custom wound trannys , tesla kt88 tubes , all iska resistors and mustard caps , F&T filtering . nos pre tubes , housed in a jcm 800 chassis going to be 600 volts plus plate voltage , looking for a real schematic for the build , as there are many online that are wrong , im looking for the accurate one

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
sounds like a cool project!!

Merren transformers too...wow. I'm sure it will sound amazing

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Wanted to build a mini Major a few years ago
a friend of mine has one , two KT88's is aroind
70 watts with ultra linear transformer,
think I still have his gut pictures but not sure.

He nails Blackmore like you wouldn't believe!

His name is Max and here he is playing,

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Red Electronics Glass Automotive lighting Cylinder
Font Text Signage Automotive exterior Wood
Red Electronics Glass Automotive lighting Cylinder
Font Text Signage Automotive exterior Wood
these are the newly made merren audio transformers for my mini major build c/w new kt88's and a custom badge made . the build is going to be done by steve moratto of moratto amps in ajax ontario , killer marshall plexi builder .

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
View attachment 114049 View attachment 114057 View attachment 114049 View attachment 114057 these are the newly made merren audio transformers for my mini major build c/w new kt88's and a custom badge made . the build is going to be done by steve moratto of moratto amps in ajax ontario , killer marshall plexi builder .
I use a quad of those same NOS military grade ( thicker glass) Teslslovak KT-88s in my Sunn 1200s. They're pretty tasty. Very beefy; more so than the stock GE 6550s that were in there when I got it. A bit looser vs controlled but not to a bad degree, just in terms of comparison.

Cool project; will be watching.

two KT88's is aroind
70 watts with ultra linear transformer.
The spec sheet for the KT-88 says Pout can be 100 watts in fixed bias ultralinear mode (50 in cathode bias) - see pg 4 here: http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/kt88.pdf. Sunn called it 60 ( but that was because the spec for the 2x15 JBLs was 25 To 30 each and they didn't want people to think the speaker was under- rated).

From my experience with a quad in my Sunn ( also ultralinear) it is definitely closer to 200 vs the 120 rating, based off running other amps into the same cab.

Reactions: Louis

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wallet Fashion accessory
Wallet Fashion accessory
i

im only running 2 kt88's ultra linear 650 volts on the plates possibly a little more , not shure what steve will build ,and how he will set it up to run at high voltage ,but I want it as high as possible to get that major tone .

·
Premium Member
3,474 Posts
im only running 2 kt88's ultra linear 650 volts on the plates possibly a little more , not shure what steve will build ,and how he will set it up to run at high voltage ,but I want it as high as possible to get that major tone .
According to that spec sheet above, 100 watts can be had from a pair with 560V on the plates, so 650 should easily get you there. Note; higher plate voltage <> better tone. My Sunn runs em at 500V according to the schem (but likely higher IRL). The max rating is 800, so it's safe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where did you source the transformers? They look like Heyboers!

chriss merren of merren audio wound me a both trannys for the major build , his pwr tranny has taps for 460/560 volts , so im trying out another tranny from hammond 1st that supposed to have 600 v plus , I have to measure it once its going

1 - 11 of 11 Posts