The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the street word on these new offerings from Marshall?

Marshall Launches Its Next Generation of All-Valve Amplifiers - The JVM Series

Marshall Amplification introduces the JVM Series amplifiers — the most versatile and highest gain Marshall all-valve amplifiers to date. The UK-built series is comprised of the JVM410H 100-Watt Head and JVM410C 100-Watt 2 x 12" Combo. These all-valve (5 x ECC83s, 2 x EL34s) amplifiers feature four independent, footswitchable channels (Clean, Crunch, OD1 & OD2) with three footswitchable Modes per channel, yielding a total of 12 different "amps." Each Mode has its own unique gain structure, offering a wide variety of sounds ranging from the cleanest cleans to the filthiest Marshall, high-gain distortions ever. Each channel's three modes are indicated by a bright LED that glows either green, orange or red — depending on which Mode is selected.

Featuring an extremely straightforward, familiar front panel, the Head and Combo boast eight LED switches and 28 controls including Volume, Bass, Middle, Treble and Gain for each channel, dual Master Volumes plus Resonance and Presence. Both amplifiers also house a studio-quality, digital reverb with level controls for each channel.

In addition to the Channel/Mode switches, the amps also feature front-panel switches for Reverb (off/on), Master Volume selection (1 or 2) and FX loop (on/off). Onboard logic ensures switching is swift and silent plus remembers the last position of each front panel switch in all 12 Modes — Reverb (on/off), FX Loop (on/off) and Master Volume (1 or 2), even after the amp has been powered down.

For the ultimate in control, Marshall has developed an intuitive, "intelligent," six-way foot-controller that can memorize user's front panel switch settings. Seven easy-to-read, multicolored LEDs reflect every front panel switch setting, including the channel Mode being used. This patent-pending technology allows single front-panel switches or entire setups (Channel, Mode, Reverb, FX Loop and Master Volume switch setting) to be simply assigned to any one of the foot-controller's six switches. For user convenience, the foot-controller connects to the amps via a standard guitar cable.

·
Premium Member
2,198 Posts
There were some threads on the Gear Page about them, some very good, some not (mostly complaints about durabilility, and servicability). The shops up here dont seem to have them yet.

They look pretty interesting to me. I wasn't a huge fan of the DSL /TSL series, but I love Marshalls mostly.

I had a chance to try one of the vintage modern heads and I found it very nice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
overkill in the knob department.
as a guitar player fasinated with tweaking those knobs i find the less i have for options the quicker i get a good tone.
that is me anyway.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Interesting amp, although I would probably have to agree that it's overkill not only in the knob department, but also in the amount of voicing options available. I'm sure I won't ever need 12 voicings for any band that I play with in the present or in the future..or at least I hope I won't :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,039 Posts
At least the amp gives you options. I imagine it would take tons of tweaking time, like an XT Live or GT-8. I think anyone who thinks you can spend five minutes and dial settings in and expect ultimate tone is in a massive shock.

·
Registered
62 Posts
To everyone who said there's too many knobs: It's one set of knobs repeated 4 times just like a 4 channel mixer + a couple global knobs

I've not had my hands on one myself but all the guys I've talked to that have say it's pretty simple to dial in a good sound.

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna pick one up after my tax refund comes in.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Been reading a lot of really good reviews about this series. Perhaps a major breakthrough for Marshall?
My friend bought one awhile back based on a Guitar World video review so he was a bit skeptic (I think he got it @ LA Music for $1800 + taxes and shipping).

I have to say, it's pretty amazing... he got the head version so he brought it out here (I live in the country, no one around me so we can CRANK it) and we hooked it up to a 1960, plugged the mics and mixer in and had it going through like 1000 watts of Yorkville speakers and shit, haha earplugs didn't help much.

After all the random pissing around we hooked up my JCM800, my step dad's 900 and the JVM all to seperate cabs and the JVM could almost, if not perfectly, mimic the 800 and 900. Of course, being the metal head I am I fell in love with the highest gain channel. All the knobs look intimidating, but once you realize what they do and why there's so many it's really not a huge deal and it all makes sense. He said the footswitch is kind of cool too, apparently it does something special, I forget what he said.

I think I might go ahead and buy one for myself... if you get the chance, you HAVE to try it out. It's a bit on the expensive side, but worth every penny.

I'll see if he can send me the Guitar World video he was talking about and I'll upload it for you guys.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wouldn't mind trying one out. whenever I go into a music shop and see a dsl or tsl stack I almost want to push the whole thing over and run out because I was so disappointed when I first had a try of it. some people say they're great, but some like me absolutely detest them. worst clean I've ever heard.

enough of my complaining.

I still have not tried one of the vintage modern amps. I'd like to asap but I havn't seen them anywhere

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'm with you on that one... DSL / TSL line is hands down the worst all-tube Marshall I've used. And the insane thing is a used one costs the same as a used JCM 900... who would take a JCM 2000 over a 900?! That's crazy talk...

·
Registered
131 Posts
The footswitch is fully customizable so that you can set each of the switches to activate any particular channel you want it to activate. I believe it also saves your sound settings for the channels, I don't recall exactly.

·
Premium Member
16,948 Posts
im not expecting much. marshall got where they are because they made simple mid-gain amps that sounded good. now they're trying to compete with mesa and peavey and engl and bogner instead of sticking with what works.

i'll try out a JVM...but i'll buy a recto. marshall for high gain? not in my books.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Sorry for the wait guys, he wasn't on for awhile.

http://jgwebdesign.net/host/MarshallJVM410.mov

Going to need Quicktime or an alternative that can play MOV files... video is a little under 50 MB.

He sent me all the videos that were on the CD, anyone want any of these video reviews?

MXR Distortion III
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Martin OMC Red Birch
Tech Ed 12
Victoria Regal II

Just ask and I'll upload 'em! Got tons of space and bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
8,601 Posts
Well, I've had a 410H head for about 3 weeks now. There's a lot to talk about, let me give you my spin. Perspective: I'm a middle aged cork sniffer and not really that much of a player but my 18 yer old son plays lead in a hard rock/metal band and we both use the amp. Was playing it thru an Avatar 2X12 until I picked up a 1960AHW a week ago, the 4x12 format is much more condusive to getting great tone out of the amp. I have a strong suspicion that cabinet/speakers used will DRAMATICALLY change the sound of the amp.

People have posted that they can get, or close to, every Marshall sound ever out of it. I tell you quite frankly that I cannot find Plexi in here, tho there is a vintagey-overdrive to be had. JCM800 is all over this amp, as would be expected given they share most of the power section in common. I haven't really gone looking for 2555/Jubilee but neither have I heard anything real close, at least to a GNR type sound.

Metal - there is indeed an ENORMOUS amount of gain in this amp BUT IT DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A BOOGIE or 6505 (whatever you want to call it). The Marshall is VERY mid heavy. Even dialing out all the mids in the highest gainstage of OD2, which is voiced with a more prominent lower mid, while it is most definitely hard metal, it is not a scooped sound particularly. Apples and Oranges to compare this to a Rectifier, imho.

Each of the 4 channels (Clean, Crunch, OD1, OD2) has 3 voicings, increasing in gain - green, orange, red.

Clean green - actually, a very nice clean. Robust and 3d. I'm spoiled and have 2 blackface Fender's, it's not THAT nice of a clean, but very good nonetheless. Orange is a modest overdrive...I haven't spent much time here, tho I suspect it would sound better than what I've heard so far a) cranked or b) with a pedal. Clean red is a massive gain AND volume jump - it's supposed to be similar to Crunch green, but to me it's hairier, closer to crunch orange or even crunch red with the gain dialed real low.

Crunch green is very low gain, haven't spent much time here either. Orange is starting to be a good rock rhythm tone. I spend most of my time in Crunch red, a good hard driving rhythm tone and very very crunchy indeed as you spin up the gain knob.

OD1 and OD2 are the same gain stages but a different voicing - OD1 is very mid heavy, somewhat upper mid. Very good cut. OD2 is lower mid voiced, as noted above. Don't really use green. OD1 orange is very saturated, sustains well but still has a lot of clarity. Red is somewhat more compressed and everything that goes with that, sustain etc. Very hard rock to metal.

OD2 I don't play with that much, mainly keep the mids scooped out and play it orange or red for metal rhythm & chunk. My son uses orange for his rhythm tone and red for leads, does about the same thing with both OD1 and OD2 to vary his tone somewhat.

Is the amp noisy? Really not. In the OD channels with the gain up in orange or red there is indeed hiss but I don't find it to be extraordinary. Sure, a noise gate would probably be a good idea for stage work but it's not ridiculously overbearing as some online posters have stated. In Crunch red with the gain way over at 3-4 o'clock, there's almost no amp noise at all.

Dual footswitchable masters (over and above channel volumes!) is sheer usable genius - set up a tone you like and step on the switch for your solo volume boost.

Reverb is gonna be take it or leave it. I'm not a big reverb fan or user. It's smoother than a spring reverb but not especially inspiring. I don't dislike it, pretty neutral on the subject.

The footswitch is 6 buttons. Default, the first button is Clean channel and continuing to step on it cycles thru green-orange-red. Ditto button 2 is Crunch, 3 is OD1, 4 is OD2. Button 5 and 6 are reverb and master switching, I forget what order. Each of the footswitch buttons is assignable to a channel + mode (green or orange or red) + master (1 or 2) + reverb (on or off). Very usable indeed.

The Presence and Resonance switches have a MASSIVE effect on the sound. Some have written that it's very subtle, I don't get that at all. The amp is VERY VERY bright - I like bright but the JVM is wowwww over the top bright so I mostly keep the Presence to about 1 (8 o'clock) and even then, dial some treble back from noon on the channels. Taking the presence up high can yield piercing (not ice pick like a Tele just BRIGHT) tone. Phasers on stun. This from an old guy with somewhat damaged hearing, don't say I didn't warn you =P. The resonance adds fatness to the bottom end, more THUMP if you will. Mostly keep it around 11-12 o'clock.

I've used the amp with: Tele 62ri, Am Strat with the 57/62 pups, R0, Dean '79 Z (explorer) and my son's LTD EC1000 and Ravelle. The Dean has the hottest and somewhat scooped pups, it REALLY sounds like rock n roll. But every guitar has, with some knob twiddling, yielded very impressive tones.

Not surprisingly, the single coil gits are pretty noisy and you don't want to be standing closer than about 10' if you have any amount of volume + gain going on. A quick hand on the volume knob + knowledge of where you are in relation to the amp and it's not that much of an issue. The Tele sounds wicked thru this amp. But the JVM, to my NOT surprise, likes humbuckers best and the hotter the better. Actually TO my surprise, both Crunch red and OD1 orange/red clean up VERY well with a roll off of the volume - not crystalline but very clean with maybe just a touch of hair. Perfectly suited for a softer arpeggiated passage, for example.

Reliability - well, way too soon to say of course. I did have a microphonic V1 tube but the dealer changed it out for me on the spot so really no big deal. We've run the amp for 4-5 hours at a time, no signs of overheating or other goofiness. The house is volume friendly so most of that would be at fairly high, easily gig, volume. It's a loud amp tho (DUH keto, it's a 100W Marshall what did you expect, a VibroChamp???) so honestly I haven't had it dimed yet. Mostly run channels dimed and master 10-11-12 o'clock.

That and a buck will get you a cuppa coffee, but it's my opinion so far. I don't have a lot of Marshall in-hand experience but I like what I hear from this one.:rockon:

·
Premium Member
16,948 Posts
not to try to sound like a TOTAL snob :p:p:p, but uh..rectos and 5150's aren' scooped either. they actually sound very bad scooped! :)

when i have the chance, i will check out a JVM. for now, i just want a good ole retube of the JSX.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
not to try to sound like a TOTAL snob :p:p:p, but uh..rectos and 5150's aren' scooped either. they actually sound very bad scooped! :)

when i have the chance, i will check out a JVM. for now, i just want a good ole retube of the JSX.
Especially the 5150 / 6505, lol sounds pretty bad with scooped mids.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts