The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really a repair question. I've read about a few versions of the bedroom mod for the Marshall class 5.

Version 1 you basically you unplug the speaker from the PCB, then make a small cable that is long enough to plug into the speaker tabs, and into either output on the back of the C5. If you want full 5 watts ear bleed volume, plug into the 16ohm jack and move the switch to 16ohm. Or unplug from the 16ohm jack and plug HALFWAY into the headphone jack amd slide the switch to headphone jack for extremely low volume.

Version 2 , you add a jumper to the back of a small PCB located inside the amp. But this makes the amp permanently bedroom level. I like the first version better.

I plugged my new 2 x 12 into the back of the Marshall using the halfway into the headphone jack method and it actually made me want to play this amp more than I do. Crank it up to 10 and you can still hear yourself think. And full distortion to boot. A bit fizzy due to the fake attenuation, but at least I can get break up without disturbing neighbors 3 blocks away.

So, what I am wondering is if you can swap the headphone jack for a guitar jack. I know they are slightly different, (stereo headphones) mono speaker. So I am assuming the headphone jack has 3 wires? I know the headphone plug has 3 sections vs a guitars 2 . So what would you do with the 3rd wire, tape it off? ground it?

This is version 1. Plugged into 16ohm port so full volume. Unplug the speaker cable and plug into headphone jack, move the slider and now you can crank it to 10 and you wont even scare the cat.

It just bugs me having a cable plugged in halfway. Someone trips on that cable and the plug bends most likely. Would be nice to be able to plug into a guitar jack

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
According to the schematics online (lower left part of drawing), you only need to lift the ring (middle) connection on the phones jack and then you can just plug all the way in. It may involve removing a wire, or cutting a trace.
Of course, once this is done, if you plug in headphones you will only have sound on one side.

http://cdn.tonegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/Marshall-Class-5-Mods1.png

1 - 2 of 2 Posts