The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just picked up a Marshall 2555x and jubilee 2551bv cab. Looking at the supplied cable between looks very thin and has cheap looking jacket. Is it upgradeable? Or waste of time?

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
Your talking about the speaker cable? If you look at the wiring inside the cab, you'll see that nothing fancy is really required from a 'sound' POV. If you want more robustness, some 14ga or 16ga lamp cord and good quality (Switchcraft or similar) plugs will do the trick.

Anything more than $20 or with fancy namebrands is just snake oil. But fill your boots, it's your money. You'll get a lot more tonal variation by changing picks. Seriously.

·
Premium Member
655 Posts
Anything more than $20 or with fancy namebrands is just snake oil. But fill your boots, it's your money.
Chord just looks cheesy.
The price of cab speaker cables is painful isn't it? At an L&M clear out bin, I asked for one, and it looked like the cord from a 1960's desk lamp. But they insisted it was a speaker cable. I haven't had any issues with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also was wondering if impedance really made a difference or is it a standard spec on the cable? Doesnt seem like it if people are creating their own. I guess just make sure the impedance would be less?

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Also was wondering if impedance really made a difference or is it a standard spec on the cable? Doesnt seem like it if people are creating their own. I guess just make sure the impedance would be less?
I think you're referring to resistance. At these lengths, it's all but moot. Same goes for capacitance/inductance - cable running from your amp to your cab is short enough that it won't make a difference. If you start looking at speaker cables longer than 10 feet, then yes, capacitance can become an issue, but that's mostly audiophile nit-picking.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was thinking interference impressed onto the cable to be honest. I understand people increasing the size but I was thinking a shorter cable with some jacketing.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
Because you are talking about a low impedance connection (4, 8 or 16 ohms), the resistance of a cable (cord is how you buy wood) may be a factor. But anything less than 10 feet will be much less than an ohm (or better be). I don't worry about resistive loss of speaker cables until I get to 25' or more - and that's generally PA applications.

Shielded speaker cable will have more capacitance and at the low frequencies and low impedance of the connection, is entirely unnecessary. Microvolts of interference won't really interfere with the 10th's of a volt, or a few volts, or actual signal. And the increased capacitance may actually roll off the highs (depending on a number of other factors). Plus, it's always going to be more expensive. So just not worth it. Wire gauge is the most important factor. And quality of the cable/connectors/solder joints, so it's don't quit on you right at the wrong time.

Now, between guitar and amp, we are talking about kilo-ohms to mega-ohms and smaller voltages. Much more likely for interference to be a factor, so good shielded cable is the preference. Because the pickup is supplying next to no current, the wire gauge doesn't have to be big for that application - 22 or 24 ga is just fine. But shielding is pretty much essential.

·
Premium Member
11,846 Posts
I wondered "jacketing" was another way of saying "shielding".

I have never seen shielded speaker cable...not that it means much.
I think of a jacket as a mechanical covering (plastic/rubber/teflon/etc) - for protection from abrasions or cutting. I think of shielding as a grounded electrical covering (braid or foil) - to reject stray signals.

But I imagine there are people out there that think of it differently.

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
I think of a jacket as a mechanical covering (plastic/rubber/teflon/etc) - for protection from abrasions or cutting. I think of shielding as a grounded electrical covering (braid or foil) - to reject stray signals.
Same here.

I understand people increasing the size but I was thinking a shorter cable with some jacketing.
This is what I was referring to. I wasn't very clear....Sorry.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Shielding is only used for low level signal cables, not for power handling. An outer layer of conductor like a shield sets up at least some capacitance, which can make a power amp unstable, or cause oscillation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts