The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the chance to pick one of these up, without the great S303 200w speaker (has some Marshall Gold Celestion 100w thing)
Has footswitch & is in ok shape.

Apart from 2012 post NAD!! Marshall 30th Brass 6101 combo!

Does anyone know what I should be looking at here? Any quirks or problems before I let it "follow me home"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bought one of these new in late 1992. I loved the sound and the versatility of it but within about 14 months it developed a no sound problem.
As it was a new model it took quite a while to get sorted out.
Schematics and such had to be faxed from England.
In short it had issues with some cold solder joints in the power supply (supplies?). The tech felt that it was probably the result of heat from so many
tubes in such a small area. Once it was repaired it sounded fine,
but I didn't trust it as I was gigging and had been using a Mesa in the interim which I ended up buying.
I had a friend who bought one of the later models in black tolex and as far as I know he didn't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buddy let me loan it overnight to check it out.

·
Premium Member
3,856 Posts
I've been curious about those. Johnny A uses these amps and he plays pretty clean. It looks like it may suffer from Boogie-itis though, too many knobs and switches. I'd spend all day trying to dial in the right tone.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Is that the black version?
The only issue I have with these is the digital circuits running the switching. Yes, it has a CPU on board. If it 'locks up' you have to re-boot to be able to change channels again. Not sure if the problem was solved in later years, but when they first came out there were problems with them locking up when the wall voltage dropped below a certain level (maybe 105V ?). This was most likely in a club with crappy AC which is not uncommon. So if there was a 'brown out' guys would have to turn the power off and back on again to get the channel switching back running.
Anyway, ask the guy if it ever happened to him. I would think they should have sorted that issue out in later builds.
But do consider that it is far from a simple tube amp. It has a digital board in it and if there was a serious breakdown it may have to be gutted and hardwired into a single channel type amp.
Not trying to scare anyone but it's something most people don't know. That's how it can handle MIDI.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that the black version?
No, Blue tolex. (Bad lighting)
Thanks for the heads up on the switching, I will ask.

·
Administrator
404 Posts
My buddy had the full stack in blue. Bought it at Steve's. He was previously using a Peavey with Rockman effects. That giant blue stack was pretty impressive, visually and sonically. Tough lugging it up the stairs at The Glue Pot, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've been curious about those. Johnny A uses these amps and he plays pretty clean. It looks like it may suffer from Boogie-itis though, too many knobs and switches. I'd spend all day trying to dial in the right tone.
I thought this too, but it's for 3 separate amps.
1: clean......always clean
2: drive, this is the tweaker channel. Either A,B or C: JTM45- '59 Super Lead - JCM900.
3: lead, super heavy. (May not use but can make it more '59 if you try)
Dial it all in once, that's it.
Come give it a try if you like.

Sent from my other brain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts