The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have an opportunity to buy an early eighties, Korean made Mann AJ-605C Les Paul copy. I know that these weren't made as well as the seventies Japanese ones, but I would like to know if anyone has any experience with them? The guitar needs a bit of work, but it seems solid.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks ok from what I've read on this catalog listing. Doesn't say whether it's bolt on neck or not.

It's a bolt on. It's a little beat up, I just haven't heard of anyone that's actually used one yet. I'm in the fence about buying it.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It's been many, many moons since I've had a bolt on LP. I'm betting it's like most others on the market. You can probably make a decent guitar out of it but is it worth the cost of upgrades?

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Bolt-on schmolt-on. That argument has been going on since the first bolt-on guitar was made. If you like it and the price is right, then buy it. However, it sounds like you are on the fence about it. What does that tell you?

Reactions: MarkC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bolt-on schmolt-on. That argument has been going on since the first bolt-on guitar was made. If you like it and the price is right, then buy it. However, it sounds like you are on the fence about it. What does that tell you?
The reason I'm on the fence is because it has a crack where the neck and body meet. I'm not sure if it's something serious that will render the guitar useless, or if its something that can be fixed if it even needs to be. Mann electric guitar | guitars | Ottawa | Kijiji

L

·
0 Posts
I used to have a 70's MIJ LP with Maxon pups.
I couldn't tell you what the MIK's have.
Having said that, if you really wanted it, I'd offer $150.
That's a stress crack in a pancake plywood body. It can be repaired.
Inject glue with a syringe, release tension of the strings, clamp it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to have a 70's MIJ LP with Maxon pups.
I couldn't tell you what the MIK's have.
Having said that, if you really wanted it, I'd offer $150.
That's a stress crack in a pancake plywood body. It can be repaired.
Inject glue with a syringe, release tension of the strings, clamp it.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
Way back I bought a new early 70s Pan LP copy, bolt on etc. It was a POS.

I put Gibson mini HBs on it like the ones from an early 70s gold top. Gibson pickups were hard to find back then if they weren't already attached to a guitar. Anyway, that made it sound a bit better but it was never all that great.

Some of the tuners eventually went south and I had to use vice grips to turn the tuner when tuning. That was a lot of fun.

About ten years ago I tossed that guitar in the garbage. Took it to the garbage room and tried to do a Pete Townshend number smashing the guitar into the floor like an axe. It wouldn't break; I gave up not wanting to get a string stuck in my eye. Tough guitar.

I read somewhere that Townshend said he could break an SG over his knee. He would never have got famous breaking guitars if he'd been using Pan Les Pauls when he started out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, so it's plywood. I thought from the weight of it that it was a solid piece of wood. Not so sure if I want it now. I'm not stuck on this specific guitar, I'm just getting itchy to get one and start playing. Thank for the info.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Way back I bought a new early 70s Pan LP copy, bolt on etc. It was a POS.

I put Gibson mini HBs on it like the ones from an early 70s gold top. Gibson pickups were hard to find back then if they weren't already attached to a guitar. Anyway, that made it sound a bit better but it was never all that great.

Some of the tuners eventually went south and I had to use vice grips to turn the tuner when tuning. That was a lot of fun.

About ten years ago I tossed that guitar in the garbage. Took it to the garbage room and tried to do a Pete Townshend number smashing the guitar into the floor like an axe. It wouldn't break; I gave up not wanting to get a string stuck in my eye. Tough guitar.

I read somewhere that Townshend said he could break an SG over his knee. He would never have got famous breaking guitars if he'd been using Pan Les Pauls when he started out.
This thing feels like a tank. I don't think it's worth the hassle, better to spend it on one that I don't have any doubts about. I actually have a Pan acoustic.

L

·
0 Posts
Just curious, is this actually your guitar that you're trying to value?
or do you usually use the pic of a guitar that you're thinking of buying as your avatar?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a Korean 335 Mann (bolt neck) and it's a great playing and sounding guitar!
Nice. Do you know if it's solid or plywood body? The one I'm looking at is apparently plywood, but as laristotle said...it can be fixed. I'm actually starting to lean towards buying it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
The one thing to watch out for, which is an easy fix, is creaky necks. I have had several MIJ bolt on's that had them. The problem is the screw holes in the body are not big enough and the screws actually thread through the body before hitting the neck.
You just need to drill out the holes so the screws fit through without biting into the wood on the body. This gets a much better contact for the neck.
Cheers

·
Premium Member
11,616 Posts
Nice. Do you know if it's solid or plywood body? The one I'm looking at is apparently plywood, but as laristotle said...it can be fixed. I'm actually starting to lean towards buying it.
You can be pretty sure it's plywood because even the $4000 Gibson Thinlines are made out of plywood (laminate, more accurately). It's kind of a standard construction for this style and has been since they were invented 60 years ago.

This is not the same as solid body guitars which are usually solid woods and not laminates. So it's an apples to oranges kind of comparison.

·
Registered
185 Posts
You can be pretty sure it's plywood because even the $4000 Gibson Thinlines are made out of plywood (laminate, more accurately). It's kind of a standard construction for this style and has been since they were invented 60 years ago.

This is not the same as solid body guitars which are usually solid woods and not laminates. So it's an apples to oranges kind of comparison.
My understanding of one of the reasons why the ES-175 is made of plywood is it offers far less feedback on stage when played hard in comparison to a carved solid arch top. It was a design choice for a high end guitar. So I'd say having a plywood top is not necessarily a good or bad thing really, just part of he design.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts