The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
This is my first day on the board. I wish I had found this sooner.

I've been playing guitar for 34 years. I repair and mod tube amps in my spare time (I'm a teach in a computer networking/security program at the local college) as there isn't anyone out in my part of the world that really does it and my original background is as an electronic technologist. I'm also always fiddling with pedals etc trying out mods and seeing what I like. My summer project is going to be to build a plexi clone.

I got back into playing in a band about 3 years ago after a very long hiatus (kinda gave it up while the family was young). Can't beleive how much I missed it and how crappy my chops got..he he he

It's always nice to talk to other players.
Take care
Ripper

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
Ripper said:
I got back into playing in a band about 3 years ago after a very long hiatus (kinda gave it up while the family was young). Can't beleive how much I missed it and how crappy my chops got..he he he

Take care
Ripper

My hiatus was for 30 yearrs. Can you imagine how my chops rotted.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Robert, I'd been out for about 14 years, except for the odd family sing along etc. I'm trying to get them back but it's slow.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
hey Ripper, welcome to the forums.:wave: I wish you'd have found this sooner too.:food-smiley-004: lol

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Ripper. Just joined this forum yesterday too.
I think it is a relatively new forum.
And like you and prolly alot more of us, have just started playing again after a long hiatus. Not that I was ever much of it anyway however I seem to be more determined and dedicated to improving.:rockon2:
Welcome to the board.
Benee Wafers

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome yourself Benee. It is amazing the amount of us that seemed to take a hiatus from playing. Of course now my wife and kids are chalking all of it up to a mid life crisis...he he he

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is exactly what I told my wife and kids. I said would you rather a 20 year old blonde and a new harley?

Funny thing is now they think it is kinda cool. Our band was signed to play an out three day rock fest here in manitoba. http://www.rockinthefields.com/

Interestingly too, around here most of the bands that are playing are mid 30s and up for sure. A few younger bands but mostly older guys.

The band scene here had died off for quite a few years, the kids all wanted to hear dj's but now it's making a swing back the other away again, so it's pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Same situation in my area, just a bunch of us old timers hanging out there for a while but lately there has been a lot of younger ones joining the ranks, it's good to see......

Have a hoot at your gig sounds like a lot of fun.....:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was pleasantly surprised when I got back into the band scene here. It used to be that local bands never supported one another, constantly slammed each other and were just not open to helping out another group. It was almost like turf warfare. Now it is just the opposite, but I think part of it is that guys are playing for the fun of it, not with any thoughts of making it big.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Ripper said:

It's always nice to talk to other players.
Take care
Ripper
Welcome. It's amazing how fast your chops come back though!!

I too took a hiatus, but picked it up again once the family started (do you think my wife figured out I was trying to get out of the house?).

I have found that my playing is so much better than it ever used to be when I was a teenager / early 20's and playing all the time. There's something to be said for a little maturity and life experience helping your playing.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I find I don't have the speed back to where it used to be, but technically I am a better player than I used to be for sure. I agree with you on the age thing. The funny thing is, I'm the oldest guy in the band and I like it the loudest, and no my hearing is perfect, just had it tested about three months ago.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I found that when I came back to playing ( took a few years off to get married, complete my apprenticeship and start a family) I had a different attitude and outlook on things. Number one was it had to be fun... :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oh yeah if it ain't fun we aren't doing it. We picked songs to cover (in our own style) that we wanted to play and didn't care if anyone else would like them. Turns out people do and we are getting lots of requests to come play gigs, actually more than we want to do. I figure if you can play half decent and are having fun on stage, people enjoy it too. They feel your energy.:DevilGuitar: :rockon2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts