The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I didn't know where else to put this, but I'm thinking it will involve lots of pedals...

I've got a tricky one for you....

OK, so I want to take recordings of random things - cars, elephants, toilets flushing, anything I can think of. But! I want to be able to manipulate the sounds with my effects pedals. You know, to come up with some crazy sounds. I guess I would have it set up so I could play it on my guitar. Like - depending on the fret/string I play the sound would play at that octave, note whatever you want to call it. Then from there be able to use my pedals. Anyone have any idea of how it could be done? I used to have my iPod hooked into my pedal chain and used as a sampler, but I can't for the life of me remember how I did it. I know I can do it in post, on a computer with generated effects, but I would like to be able to do this live.

Anyone? Any ideas?

Thanks.

PS> I know I'm probably out of my mind for thinking of something like this, but if it works out the way I want it to, well, just think of the possibilities.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
No problem.

You need two inputs to your effect chain. If you don't allready have one, a mixer or signal combiner of some sort will allow you to plug both your guitar and your ipod or whatnot into the effect chain.

The signals run through the effect chain and then into a DI box (which sends a balanced line the FOH and an unbalanced line to your guitar amp. If you do not care about the direct line to FOH and the sounds comming out of your guitar amp is what you are after, you can skip the DI alltogether.

If you do use the DI, the FOH will have to know when you are using the samples, as your guitar will also be comming down the same line - there is no way around this when using one set of pedals for both sound sources if they are both being used at the same time. Not using the DI simplifies things, but your amp will colour the samples as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm....Ok I think I'm starting to get it. And I think I have a solution.

Could I just DI box my iPod into my pedal chain? (or something along those lines). I just thought of something, and all I need now is to have the iPod hooked into the pedal chain. If its something thats easy to do, getting the iPod in the chain I mean, I have an even easier solution to triggering them :)

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The above example will get the iPOD into your signal chain.

Have you tried holding an earbud close to your pickups? You might be able to induce the signal right into the guitar - if strange is what you are after, that's the route I would go. Embed some headphones into your guitar (under the pickguard or whatever).

Another cool way to do it would to modify a 'talk box' and use your ipod signal to modulate your guitar.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hell yeah man, those are awesome idea's. The under the pickguard won't work, cuz my guitar is an epi SG - little pickguard. But I'll check out just holding it there, and I'll try the talk box thing. I've been meaning to make one of those for awhile now, there alot of fun :)

Oh, what's an FOH? I'll probably know what it is as soon as I hear it, but it's not ringing any bells right now.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Another way might be to use a hexaphonic pickup like the Roland and trigger a sampler with it. Any sound the human ear can hear can be sampled and it's just a matter of triggering the samples.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
FOH = Front of House - the mix position where the console/sound guy is located.

Hell yeah man, those are awesome idea's. The under the pickguard won't work, cuz my guitar is an epi SG - little pickguard. But I'll check out just holding it there, and I'll try the talk box thing. I've been meaning to make one of those for awhile now, there alot of fun :)

Oh, what's an FOH? I'll probably know what it is as soon as I hear it, but it's not ringing any bells right now.

Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another way might be to use a hexaphonic pickup like the Roland and trigger a sampler with it. Any sound the human ear can hear can be sampled and it's just a matter of triggering the samples.
Naw I don't want to go messing with pickups, I just put in a of 57 classic and a 57 classic plus. I really like the way they sound. Although, If I get another guitar (yeah, I only have one guitar...boo) I'll check out that type of pickup. Thanks for the suggestion :)

·
Premium Member
16,643 Posts
Naw I don't want to go messing with pickups, I just put in a of 57 classic and a 57 classic plus. I really like the way they sound. Although, If I get another guitar (yeah, I only have one guitar...boo) I'll check out that type of pickup. Thanks for the suggestion :)
A hex pickup does not replace you conventional ones. It mounts on the surface behind the bridge pup in addition to your normal pups.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Even still, there is only maybe a 1/4 inch clearance between the bridge pup and the tunomatic bridge. Unless I could put it behind the stop bar...that might work.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just looked up the Roland GK-3 Hex pup. There is a pic of it mounted to a les paul. So it will work with my guitar....now I'm interested. Even if it can't do what I want, I can probably come up with some crazy stuff.

Any idea of how much they are?

EDIT - Found out how much they are. Around 200.

·
Registered
365 Posts
It looks like they're about $175-200. There's one on Ebay for $50 with 2 days left.

It may be best to just use a laptop with samples?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well this is getting overly complicated haha. I'll just find a way to hook my iPod into my chain again. I've done it before, I'm sure I can do it again. I already know how to trigger them (the samples) at the right times so this seems like the best option for now. Especially seeing as how I'm broke at the moment. lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts