The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anyone out there playing mandoline tuned like a guitar? I am toying with the idea of getting one but want to play it like a guitar. Also, recommendations to buying one.
Any info is much appreciated
Thanks

L

·
0 Posts
Picture playing a lefty right handed without changing the strings around.
I recently sold mine because of the narrow neck.
I have arthritis in my hands and I found my left cramped up within a song and a bit.

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
I got an Eastman about 6 months ago. It doesn't take long to get used to the basic chord patterns for mandolin tuned normally so not sure tuning like a guitar would help much once you got going on the instrument.

I wanted a wider nut than they usually are so like most things in my life I didn't put enough thought into it and ended up with a maker that has a narrower than usually nut width. However spacing and radius comes into all that so at the end of the day I can play it no problem.

Takes awhile to get tone but tone is in your fingertips no matter what you play.

F style mandolin is more expensive than an A style due building and both sound slightly different.

Mandolins are a ton of fun.

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got an Eastman about 6 months ago. It doesn't take long to get used to the basic chord patterns for mandolin tuned normally so not sure tuning like a guitar would help much once you got going on the instrument.

I wanted a wider nut than they usually are so like most things in my life I didn't put enough thought into it and ended up with a maker that has a narrower than usually nut width. However spacing and radius comes into all that so at the end of the day I can play it no problem.

Takes awhile to get tone but tone is in your fingertips no matter what you play.

F style mandolin is more expensive than an A style due building and both sound slightly different.

Mandolins are a ton of fun.
I wonder how hard it would be to pick and do solos if its tuned mando style. I am so used to soloing on a guitar. Will have to give it a try before i buy. And thanks for reminding me about the width of the fretboard. Another thing to consider

·
Premium Member
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have arthritis in my hands and I found my left cramped up within a song and a bit.
Something else to consider as far as the neck. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6,358 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to pick and do solos if its tuned mando style. I am so used to soloing on a guitar. Will have to give it a try before i buy. And thanks for reminding me about the width of the fretboard. Another thing to consider
It's like using your E,A,D,G on guitar except its not the same notes. The fat strings are low and the skinny ones are high. Same deal.

Try one first before you buy but it also takes time to get used to and first time in a store you might just say forget it.

Maybe rent one for a month if that's possible.

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
Well the strings are also reversed in which ones are low & which are high-so sometimes turning things upside down from guitar works & sometimes it doesn't.

As for cramps--your arthritis may make it worse than normal--but even without arthritis your fretting hand position can cause pain if you think too much like guitar.
I had an adjustment period when I started playing mandolin for that reason--and I can see hwo arthritis would make it worse--and even proper positioning may not work so well with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts