The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Meeting a guy to pay $400 for a Wii. My buddies son is going to be a happy boy christmas morning.

They go for $280 normally, add in GST,PST and shipping and $400 cash isn't as bad as it could have been.

Other scalpers have them listed at $500 plus in the bargain finder. Makes you wonder why it's called the bargain finder. :confused-smiley-010

·
Registered
635 Posts
Supply and demand, Jeff. Someone was willing to wait in the cold weather for that thing and you weren't.

Personally, I wouldn't meet this dude. Chances are with a little persistance you'll be able to get a Wii before Christmas. They were a lot easier to get than the PS3 on release day and more will be shipped this month (without the release day hysteria).

I'm not sure what your time is worth, but you can definitely save the 120 bucks. Now, if you're a busy guy and don't have time to invest in getting one, the 120 might totally be worth it.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
nine said:
Supply and demand, Jeff. Someone was willing to wait in the cold weather for that thing and you weren't.

Personally, I wouldn't meet this dude. Chances are with a little persistance you'll be able to get a Wii before Christmas. They were a lot easier to get than the PS3 on release day and more will be shipped this month (without the release day hysteria).

I'm not sure what your time is worth, but you can definitely save the 120 bucks. Now, if you're a busy guy and don't have time to invest in getting one, the 120 might totally be worth it.
It's not $120 difference it's only $70-80 after taxes and shipping. That said they were lined up since last night to get them at best buy today. I know people that went down at 5:30 AM and were #38 in line and then told only 20 were available. Makes you wonder how many people in front of them were just trying to make a buck.

Supply and demand is fine but we are dealing with little kids here and parents that work. If all the systems that are on ebay and bargain finders were available to the parents it would be a much better world.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jroberts said:
I'd like to buy a Klon, but there's no way I'm paying used prices, when new prices are so much cheaper. Of course, you're paying to avoid the wait. C'est la vie, I guess.
It so just happens I have Wii to pay for and Klon for sale. Just kidding of course.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Supply and demand is fine but we are dealing with little kids here and parents that work.
That was exactly my point about what your time is worth. It wasn't meant to be insulting, it's just a fact. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a bit more to save yourself the time of not having to do something.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nine said:
That was exactly my point about what your time is worth. It wasn't meant to be insulting, it's just a fact. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a bit more to save yourself the time of not having to do something.
Oh no I understand and it's what I did. Well actually it's what his parents did, they were willing to pay $400 because they exausted every avenue otherwise.

It's the going to extreme to get one to make some loving parents pay more that just wrong IMO. If the scalpers weren't ahead of them in line, then more parents would be able to show up early in the morning and get in line and get one. Supply and Demand.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It sucks, yeah, but you can't blame people for being opportunistic. If someone is willing to pay more then someone will sell it to them. People that buy things at inflated prices are just as responsible for the situation. It takes two to tango, unlike this dancing banana:

:banana:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nine said:
It sucks, yeah, but you can't blame people for being opportunistic. If someone is willing to pay more then someone will sell it to them. People that buy things at inflated prices are just as responsible for the situation. It takes two to tango, unlike this dancing banana:

:banana:
Willing to or not having a choice.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Oh, come on- nobody is forcing them to. If you're being honest, you know that they could choose to not buy it. I realize that kids can be very persistant and annoying when they want something, but ultimately, it's the decision of the parent to buy it or not.

·
Registered
139 Posts
As a side note. I was getting my son the NHL 2K7 for PS2 and Walmart had it for $78.00, which I thought was pretty high. I was in Zellers a little later and it was on there for $22.00. Go figure that.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
These supply shortages are totally fabricated. Just look what happens: your product gets covered by EVERY media outlet available, you drive people into a buying frenzy, and you create the impression that your product is SO COOL people will do anything for it (thereby making others want it). So you get a massive marketing campaign for free and drive up demand for your product.

The real answer is simple: tell your kid you will get one after Christmas or buy him/her a guitar! :) Parents get emotionally handcuffed into this crap and although I know it's not easy dissapointing a kid, at some point this BS needs to end and be exposed for what it is. Man, they don't even make new games anymore; just the same old games with better graphics (wooppeee!)

The "laws" of the market are in no way natural; they are complete social creations.

TG

·
Registered
635 Posts
GuitarsCanada said:
The last time I had to deal with that was Cabbage Patch Dolls. Anyone remember that nonsense?
Oh yeah. I remember that my sister wanted one SO freakin' badly it was ridiculous. She didn't get one until well after Christmas. I guess my mom wasn't willing to duke it out with other moms at the local K-mart. Haha.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Heh, you also gotta feel sorte bad for these guys though, I'm sure that the guy's camping out of the video game stores aren't exactly super accomplished people with very well paying and secure jobs. It's usually more like starving university students who can barely pay rent or some loser teenagers that wanna make a buck or two or some sad guy getting payed minimun wage at McDonald's you know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
noobcake said:
Heh, you also gotta feel sorte bad for these guys though, I'm sure that the guy's camping out of the video game stores aren't exactly super accomplished people with very well paying and secure jobs. It's usually more like starving university students who can barely pay rent or some loser teenagers that wanna make a buck or two or some sad guy getting payed minimun wage at McDonald's you know.
What makes it worse is they are also getting robbed in front of the stores:rolleyes: .

Anyway my mom bought me a Wii at that Real Canadian Super store. They have alot more, or so I heard.

·
Registered
635 Posts
mick7 said:
Anyway my mom bought me a Wii at that Real Canadian Super store. They have alot more, or so I heard.
Yeah, that's one of the tricks. You have to go to weird places that you wouldn't expect to stock them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
noobcake said:
Wouldn't the money be better spent on rent and food?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts