The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the final word on Yngwie? Some say he is a joke, others a genius. I seen him with G3 a few years back. Very entertaining for sure. He does have talent, but would he be up there with the likes of Vai and Satriani? I don't think he is in that category. The year Petrucci toured with them.... wow.. I never listened much to Dream Theater, but when I seen him with G3 at Massey Hall.... I was totally blown away by him. His solo album that was put out I think early in 2005 is a really good listen. I recommend it.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
I love Satch, but Im not into Vai or Malmsteen. All 3 of them are amazing guitar players, but everytime I hear Vai I want to listen to Satch, and everytime I hear Malmsteen, I want to listen to Blackmore.................

·
Registered
322 Posts
Accept2 said:
I love Satch, but Im not into Vai or Malmsteen. All 3 of them are amazing guitar players, but everytime I hear Vai I want to listen to Satch, and everytime I hear Malmsteen, I want to listen to Blackmore.................

I like Malmsteen. He is funny as hell. He looks like Horatio Sanz with a wig on. I watched the G3 DVD a few weeks ago, and it's hilarious watching him swing that guitar around, and pull stupid faces the whole time. He's a one-trick pony, but entertaining if only for a short time.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Malmsteen can play but it is definately his own style where as Satch and Vai are more closely related. All three are kick ass guitar players that have pushed the limits of Rock guitar farther than they have ever been. i would love to hang out for an hour just to take a lesson. Cheers Lucius

·
Registered
627 Posts
I still prefer Jimmy Pages style over any of these guys. Don't get me wrong, all they guys are very skilled, but Jimmy Page is so...different.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Stratocaster said:
I still prefer Jimmy Pages style over any of these guys. Don't get me wrong, all they guys are very skilled, but Jimmy Page is so...different.
Indeed, they are fun to watch tho.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i don't mind Yngwie or satch and vai. they all do well at thier thing.
i haven't bought any of their stuff lately. hell i can get pleasure from Angus and Billy or BB.
it's all good.
for a shredder though Yngwie does have tone.
he does have to lay off the twinkies though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
malmsteen.

try uli jon roth. monster tone. not to diminish malmsteen or vai etc, but roth is an alien. also paul gilbert is a freak. you can see what he`s doing and he takes the time to show you slowly but there`s no way you`re going to go that fast. beautiful.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Lucius said:
Malmsteen can play but it is definately his own style where as Satch and Vai are more closely related. All three are kick ass guitar players that have pushed the limits of Rock guitar farther than they have ever been. i would love to hang out for an hour just to take a lesson. Cheers Lucius
Spoken like a wise man. They're all great, different as they might be. The chance to learn from any of them would be huge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im a big yngwie fan, id have to say he has a pretty uniqie stage presence. All three of those guitarist (satch, yngwie, and vai) can all rip though...god im un-talented LOL

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sixx66 said:
Im a big yngwie fan, id have to say he has a pretty uniqie stage presence. All three of those guitarist (satch, yngwie, and vai) can all rip though...god im un-talented LOL
Yeah, thats one thing I always feel after leaving a concert like G3... totally inadequate. You watch those guy's play and it's like "wow, am I bad".... I will NEVER be able to play one quarter as good as any of them... but hey, keep trying.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Who Bettah?

Malmsteen carved out the only niche he could in the 80's. Pick faster than anyone else. And he did it better than anyone. But it is a style that can't really hold up over the passage of time. As for Vai and Satriani they are in a league of their own. Satch is untouchable in his knowlege of the fret board.

JS

·
Registered
Peavey Wolfgang EVH Wolfgang Charvel Style 2
1,487 Posts
Ya gotta give credit where credit is due... Hendrix, in his time made everyone look at the guitar differently and influenced the masses. EVH changed the guitar as we know it. YJM impacted the guitar community on as large a scale as anyone ( and raised the bar for technical proficiency plus created Bach and Roll ).

YJM is the last guy to have such a global effect on the guitar community not even Satch or Vai or Johnson can lay claim to that.

To us now, in this time, what YJM does is nothing new and that causes it to loose some flair... YJM has the credentials and to this day I feel very few players have not even come to accomplishing what YJM has. Sure there are "better" players... thats truely a subjective thing. Yes there are faster players... thats a fact but the facts are the facts and YJM is the real deal and he plays like no other before him and many many players owe a debt to him for placing rock guitar in the same category as any other great style of music that fosters technically proficient and brilliant artists.

YJM's music still holds up to this day... he has excellent tone, vibrato, and a natural ability to compose brilliantly. Many of todays "popular" players simply do not even come close.

KHINGPYNN

·
Registered
561 Posts
"not to diminish Malmsteen" ----that's actually quite funny

I remember the first time I saw Malmsteen on TV, he was barely legal and throwing his guitar around while Graham Bonnet struggled to keep a foot on the monitor and his sunglasses on his nose (Alcatrazz)....and then the day guitar changed......was when Guitar Player put "Black Star" on the floppy vinyl insert.....remember those.....but some lucky fluke, Canada Post didn't destroy this one of mine.

While we all have our favorites from G3 etc., generally, Malmsteen's backing is harmonically far more complex (although its roots do show) whereas Satriani's canvas usually has a white background which allows him to wonder more freely without harmonic boundaries...you may like that, I'm not so impressed.

That being said, I had ordered his symphony DVD....and then cancelled it when I saw the preview in Guitar World.....sounded like an Orchestra trying to tune up during a Saturday at Steve's. Anybody have it, perhaps the segment in Guitar World isn't representative of the rest?????

Andy

1 - 20 of 44 Posts