The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the brand of guitar strings used by Malcolm Young discontinued? Would love to try them out as I'm on a big ACDC kick lately.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I’m not sure what brand he used, but I’ve read he used 12s with a wound G to get that heavy sound while beating on them through a clean amp turned up loud.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
If he used 12s with a wound G get something similar like Earnie Balls or whatever.

String brand isn’t gonna make no difference - too many other factors come into it like the guitar, the rig and Malcolm himself.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Read he used Gibson in the specs you mentioned. Looked quickly online and found nothing.
Gibson later in his career, but in the classic days, who knows? When I had a Duo Jet, I could get some pretty nice Malcolm Sounds with (I think) D’Addario 12s with w3, but 11s were also pretty good and a bit easier on the fingers. On my current Gretsch, I use 11s and can get some decent Back in Black sounds with 11s. You won’t likely find the exact strings he used, but if you get 12s with a wound G, you should be able to get it pretty close. I think GHS makes some heavy, purr nickel, wound 3rd sets, but the bottom strings still aren’t 58s!

The 12-58 pure nickel doesn’t seem to be common. Well, 12-58 anything, that is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts