The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
I have about as plain vanilla gear as possible -- tele and deluxe reverb . I set both tone controls at 5. And I still sound just like me because a) it's in your fingers and b) that setup sounds like me.
Nothing wrong with a tele and a deluxe. As you say: "Classic." Love em both.

Nothing wrong with the OP shooting for something "different" (altho I think he intends to remain within usual amp architectures).

I sold an old Hammond amp and Tone Cabinet to the late Gar Gillies of Garnet Amps. The amp and speakers went together because the amp drove "field coil" speakers via electrical coils rather than magnets. I asked Gar what he would do with that bizarre set-up:

"I dunno, maybe make a 'trick' amp."

Nothing wrong with that either.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You could do things like changing the power output section and phase inverter. I like doing things like putting in variable negative feedback pots and Cut controls and changing the output section voltages. So instead of running your amps power section at 400v for example run it at 490v or vice versa. You need to be very careful when doing this to make sure your parts and tubes can handle the voltages. Changing the output from push- pull to single ended is another option.

These are just some options to get you started.

Cheers

Guy

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
I've spent my life learning to sound like me. I'm pretty happy about it.
Me, too. My first thought after reading the OP was: if I did that, I'd still spend my time using the feedback loop between my ears and fingers to dial the damn thing in for my sounds, sounds I get with a variety of equipment I already own (so no need to reinvent the wheel).

But everyone's got a different goal, I guess. I'm not much of an experimenter anymore, I just like the sounds I get and spend my time using them playing with others for others.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts