The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put together a parts SG style guitar a little while ago and posted a pic of it and a Tokai guitar that I had just purchased. As a follw up I am posting some pics of the make over I did on the SG.

a pic of what I had originally put together, Solid maple SG style body with maple neck / RW fretboard. Both were purchased off of ebay. Added tune o matic , and GFS Dream 180 pickups.

[/IMG]

Now the make over... First new tuners, Grovers in gold, then a new gold stoptail, a tuneomatic roller bridge, then GFS Crunchy PAF pups. This is for when I want to play rock...

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

The GFS crunchy Pafs added the kick to make this guitar rock... nice pups

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
I assume it sounds brighter than an SG because of the maple. How about a pic of the back.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually it is not as bright as I thought it was going to be, that could be the pickups, the bridge has a nice bite but not too trebly. Here are some back pics, showing the bolt on union.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

L

·
0 Posts
That's a nice job. Changing the
neck plate to gold would give it
that final touch. IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,062 Posts
How do you find the placement of the strap button works?

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
works fine you just have to put the front strap hole in reverse... I do the same with my 335 models.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Did you change the pots as well? If so, are they all 500k??

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I put all new electronics into it, 500K full size pots and a good switch. Added .022 caps and a switchcraft jack. I have a gold switch and jack coming for it to complete the look.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i have a relatively similar project going. i got a cherry-red eastwood corona (sg copy) recently. on their advice, i had the 12th fret do a $200 fret job. they claim that, in spite of this being a cheap chinese copy, the build quality is actually quite good. the stock pickups were pure mud, but i stumbled on a used set of bare knuckle "the mule" humbuckers. the guitar now has a great tone - rich, articulate and full. the hardware seems to be pretty decent, although i'm ready to replace any parts that show signs of wear or weakness. eventually i'd like to have just one tone and one volume control and, if possible, move the volume control to within reach. i'd also like to move the jack to the side of the body, or replace it with a strat style jack.

all my other electrics are fenders, so this is a great alternative.

-dh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts