The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious... who subscribes to guitar/music mags and which do you subscribe to? I was looking at magazine subscriptions and they seem pretty pricey for Canadian subscriptions. Any recommendations as to which mags are good?

Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I know a place where I get mags for $2 each. I get whatever they get in. Im always keeping my eyes open for Drum! magazine. It's great. Any good guitar magazines that just talk about gear and less about the people who play them? I have too many that just talk about the artist.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I subsribe to GuitarONE

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am subscribed to Guiatr World, Guiatr One and Bass Guitar. But my parents pay for it all. They were birthday presents. But I would recommend Guitar One over Guitar World, they tend to talk more about the gear and less about the artist, but yet retain enough information on the artist.

·
Registered
585 Posts
He just wants to save money, not have to go out and get it and make sure he gets it before it hits stands. Very reasonable :D. Only subscription I ever had was Nintendo Power, LOL.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For those of you who said GuitarOne and/or GuitarWorld... where did you subscribe from (the magazine site or some other mag service?) and how are you finding them? Useful? Thanks! :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
SinCron said:
Any good guitar magazines that just talk about gear and less about the people who play them?
My only guitar-related subscription is Vintage Guitar. Well-written articles which have the unfortunate result of causing GAS, but the magazine is quite immune to "fads" and the hyperbole which makes quite a few guitar mags a bit irritating. The other guitar magazines seem to be totally driven by the industry, judging by the glowing gear reviews they often give to decidedly crappy products...

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
jane said:
For those of you who said GuitarOne and/or GuitarWorld... where did you subscribe from (the magazine site or some other mag service?) and how are you finding them? Useful? Thanks! :D
well I subscribed to G1 through their website. And I find the mags pretty useful, they have new gear reviews, private lessons, and tabs in the back. But I really haven't had time to play with the past couple issues yet.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
I personally like Guitar Techniques. Mostly because they have the CD with backing tracks included. Not that every issue is a 5 star hit but there is usually at least one tune that interests me. Article wise I would say it about the same as all others. This mag originates out of the UK though and is not cheap. I think they run about $17.00 or $18.00 in Canada. I buy mine in the States usually because I am over there all the time. I believe the big bookstores over here carry it.

The sister mag to that one is Total Guitar which offers the same type thing.

For someone that is learning I think they are great becasue you get at least 3 full songs per issue with complete backing tracks. When you think about it, thats a good price. Also, if you have already mastered a few tunes and want a backing track you can download them at their website as well. Ther are hundreds and hundreads of them. Some are free others may cost a few bucks. But for learning purposes you can't beat it.

http://www.licklibrary.com

If anyonme of you are into these and have some I wuld be willing to trade some backing tracks

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I used to get guitar techniques too, but it was like $20 in chapters an issue..

·
All the way to ten
936 Posts
GuitarOne. I subscribed through the website. I have an offer from them for two more years at a seriously good price which I will jump at. I buy others off and on if they have something interesting. It's not often though, I am a classic rock kind of guy and the pickings for the stuff I listen to are slim.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts