The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_0238.JPG
Tired of chasing my 12-Step around the floor so i made a pedal board. 10ga aluminium.

Need to tidy up the plasma-cut edge and the hole with flat file

Need some two-sided tape tomorrow.

12-Step feeds synth for bass. Stage Hog has remote switch so doesn't need to be on board. VoiceLive handles all guitar and vocal processing and looping.

Optional Route Box brings in two guitars, two amps, extra effects loop.
IMG_0235.JPG

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Did you weld that yourself? Welding aluminum isn't your run of the mill skill, AFAIK. The govt out here paid a lot to train people on the north shore to weld aluminum ferries nobody wanted or could use. Ended up selling them for 5c on the dollar.

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you weld that yourself? Welding aluminum isn't your run of the mill skill, AFAIK. The govt out here paid a lot to train people on the north shore to weld aluminum ferries nobody wanted or could use. Ended up selling them for 5c on the dollar.

Although I have welded my share of aluminium with tig and spool gun, this was formed from a single piece of aluminium, about 18"x18", at a local shop with a brake and shear. I gave the owner $45 cash. Took about half an hour.

For lighter material, like this, the best process is pulse welding. However no welding was required for this simple plate, just five bends.

I put the slot in by drilling two half inch holes and cutting between them with a special little hacksaw.

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
IMG_0307.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG
Re-purposed the board today. For the electric portion of my solo act.

Been thinking about this for a while. Cheap, flexible, simple. The Dr. Synth was $30. The Dr. Rhythm I have had since the 1990's.

The Keith McMillan 12-Step usually plays 101 Bass on Boss Dr. Rhythm, or CLICK ON SWITCH, and it plays Acoustic Bass on Boss Dr. Synth -- "hard" bass and "soft" bass.

Select one bass to suit next song.

Grab appropriate guitar.

Set amp and vocals to desired sound.

Start playing and singing.

Don't get fancy.

Dr. Synth is polyphonic, so the 12-Step can also do chords (piano, organ, etc). Select a key and use the octave as a do-re-mi trigger. The chords will major, minor and diminish to keep in key. Might be nice with harmonica for a bit of variety in the act. A different switch could allow both machines to play in sync, but -- too fancy. Might as well go techno. Or just send a CD to the gig and stay home. Lol.

The basic idea is, I am playing every note. Nothing automated. Not slaved to a machine tempo, so it feels natural (and mistakes don't turn into a trainwreck).

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Awesome, I love home made stuff. I am in the middle of making a board too.
Nothing fancy, basically a Wood PedalTrain but with more room underneath.
Just need to sand, paint and stick some Velcro to it.

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Awesome, I love home made stuff. I am in the middle of making a board too.
Nothing fancy, basically a Wood PedalTrain but with more room underneath.
Just need to sand, paint and stick some Velcro to it.

Slanted forward is the way to go. Wish I had thought of that. Next time!

Also, the five-bend design is too tricky. I will form two pieces instead of one-piece...

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Final adjustments (corrections) made and the prototype is ready for the road! The next one may feature inexpensive Korg Volca units: Bass (mono) and Keys (poly) and midi breakout box due to lack of connections.

IMG_0310.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG

·
Premium Member
3,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IMG_0312.JPG
The spare room. Garage construction on hold.

Notice expensive PA: old Traynor 2-way speaker ($25) and 10-watt Bogen telephone amp (($20). In the corner Stephenson Standard/FV cab/ StageHog ($3000). Lol.

Headset mic used so I can watch bass foot-pedals.

·
Premium Member
12,970 Posts
Nice rig, Kapn! I bet that Stephenson set up is righteous.

A light bulb just got lit and I now realize that big floorboard is a diatonic keyboard. You're getting your Geddy on. Very cool!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts