The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
there was the same story on cbc a while back, with an interview with heiden as well. this is an old story, with a ton of poaching going on across canada. it's tough, as the lumber value in a big tree can be many thousands of dollars, just "sitting there" in a place that is by nature (sorry for the pun) hard to police. i don't think there's a luthier worth his or her salt that would ever buy poached wood though, the first prerequisite for being a luthier is a love of trees and the wood they produce...

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
I wish someone would poach my maple tree. It has all the neighbors scared...........

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
What the article doesn't say is that they hack at the trunks of the trees with a hatchet, leaving one or two inch gash, to see if they have figured maple.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish someone would poach my maple tree. It has all the neighbors scared...........
Hopefully your tree then will end up as an instrument then :smile:

Reminds me of what goes on all over, IMO is worse than the poaching... people cutting great hardwoods (including protected arbutus!) for clearing or replcement with "beautification" species and do they let people use the wood? No! It goes into the shredder for compost :mad:

...this is an old story...
Well, I swear this town sees any paper printed after 1925 as new news :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts