The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I recently moved to Ottawa and I'm looking for a luthier to have my guitars nicely set up as I'm getting frustrated with the service quality I get from the local L&M.

Anyone knows a good one to recommend?

P

·
0 Posts
Stewmac sells all the tools you need to do your own. $50 minimum though...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is it you need done? If it's just truss, action, whatnot, I can show you how to do it yourself.
Actually, the current action is just a little bit higher. The playability hasn't been changed dramatically though. I got a little bit worried about the neck itself which seems a bit more curved due to the weather change.

I've heard different opinions about how straight a neck should be. As this specific guitar is a Fender strat, not for shredding, I assume it is acceptable to have some relief, right?

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Yes. But not too much. Truss rod is easy to adjust unless your Strat is old. Feel free to bring it by if you want and I'll show you how to measure and adjust relief yourself.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Actually, the current action is just a little bit higher. The playability hasn't been changed dramatically though. I got a little bit worried about the neck itself which seems a bit more curved due to the weather change.

I've heard different opinions about how straight a neck should be. As this specific guitar is a Fender strat, not for shredding, I assume it is acceptable to have some relief, right?
Yes. But not too much. Truss rod is easy to adjust unless your Strat is old. Feel free to bring it by if you want and I'll show you how to measure and adjust relief yourself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I go to L'Echoppe du Luthier in Hull, but the luthier informs me he'll be moving out of town in September, so this thread is a big help to me, too. Thanx!

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are in the west end, check out Ian Weston. He has one of only 2 plek machines in Canada. Excellent service and does great work.

Home - Ottawa's guitar repair shop
Last bit of guitar tuning I had done was completed by Ian. He fixed a wonky resonator for me, couldn't have been more pleased with the result. Worth the wait.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts