The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I've been around the site for a while now but haven't properly introduced myself. A recent post by Jeff Flowerday made me realize that those of us who peruse but don't post are considered to be 'lurking'. Yikes!, and I always thought I was just an interested onlooker, I mean 'lurking' has such a negative sound to it, anyway here is my intro post.

I first stumbled onto the GC site when I was looking for info on my Shiraki guitar, which led me to Lester B Flat, a fellow shiraki owner and GC member. I'm an OG (old guy) who hasn't played for pay since 1964, I was an okay rythym guitarist and a so so bass player. I've been out of the music scene for so long that you guys seem to be speaking a different language, I think I need a dictionary of slang terminology for guitarists, i.e. 'whammy bars', 'pups', 'GAS' (I have that), 'shredding' (is that when you try to cram about 30 notes into every bar?), anyway I feel like a rookie here amongst all you knowledgeable folks, but I'll catch on eventually.

I really enjoy your site, full of intelligent commentary and info sharing. I promise that if I ever have anything interesting or pertinent to say I will post for sure, but in the meantime I'll just be out there, you know, lurking (geez, there must be a nicer word for it)

Shad

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
shad said:
Hi everyone, I've been around the site for a while now but haven't properly introduced myself. A recent post by Jeff Flowerday made me realize that those of us who peruse but don't post are considered to be 'lurking'. Yikes!, and I always thought I was just an interested onlooker, I mean 'lurking' has such a negative sound to it, anyway here is my intro post.

Shad
Sorry, lurker is just universal forum lingo. No disrispect meant. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Actually lurkers are welcome here, after a while they eventually become members, welcome to the board....:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Hey welcome to the forums :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
shad said:
I really enjoy your site, full of intelligent commentary and info sharing. I promise that if I ever have anything interesting or pertinent to say I will post for sure, but in the meantime I'll just be out there, you know, lurking (geez, there must be a nicer word for it)

Shad
If we all waited for something interesting and pertinant to say, we'd have 5 members, and 0 posts of any relevance!! I mean, look at Xanadu - all those posts and not one thing said!!!!!

:wave: Welcome to the forum - glad you've signed on.

So... anything you'd like to share about playing live in 1964?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
james on bass said:
If we all waited for something interesting and pertinant to say, we'd have 5 members, and 0 posts of any relevance!! I mean, look at Xanadu - all those posts and not one thing said!!!!!

Oh, come on, I'm right here. I say lots of things.:tongue:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
james on bass said:

1964 Hmmm, well it was the era of large teen dances, 200 - 300 or more kids in one large hall, got pretty wild sometimes. The dance crazes at the time were, the limbo, the bird, the twist, to name a few. Instrumental music was big, The Ventures, The Shadows, Duane Eddy, Sandy Nelson, and lots of others. Mostly we played cover tunes, but we did throw in some of our own stuff now and then. We had to be versatile too, as we played lots of weddings and other functions where the crowd was much older than us, as a result we had to learn to play, the old time waltz, polka, fox trot, etc.
Okay, so now that I've put you all to sleep I'll sign off. Thanks to all for the welcome notes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
shad said:
Okay, so now that I've put you all to sleep I'll sign off. Thanks to all for the welcome notes.
You're not putting me to sleep. I love to hear about other people's experiences especially when they are different than my own. Welcome to the forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts