The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has experience with active Tone boost circuits. Have an LTD Viper-54 with an LTD SB4 bridge pup which is passive, and the tone knob runs off the 9V battery powered ATB-1 pre amp circuit, instead of the passive tone POT and CAP setup. I think. I tested the Tone knob functionality with and without the battery, and the tone knob still works as usual in a passive way without the battery. With the battery, it provides quite the boost in sound volume, sustain, and smoothness. As the name suggests, it also provides some boost to the signal as the tone knob is turned up.

It actually seems to work really nicely in more of an aggressive rock context of music, and sounds like it provides an Active pup provision for the passive pup....if that makes sense. I'm not too keen on relying on a battery powered circuit in any guitar I own because I prefer passive pups and would rather not have to change the battery every 6 months or less. I also don't like the idea of having to unplug the guitar every time I put it down to save battery life. Seems like a small thing, but it just isn't lining up to my way of doing things on guitar. But again, I really like thee sound and different tonalities it can provide the 1 bridge pup. I'm kinda guessing that because it is a 1 PUP design, they added that to compensate for the lack of Neck pup and to keep the price at a reasonable anmount for the entry level Bass.

If anyone has the experience or some suggestions on alternatives I'd appreciate the input. Particularly from you Bass players.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts