The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my sister and brother in law got me some pickups for Xmas, and I needed a reasonably priced guitar to put them in. I got a used Gibson LPJ for cheap which will work.
I didn't realize Gibson uses circuit boards in place or normal wiring which is easy enough to replace. But one quick question. Do I need long shaft pots or can I use normal shaft pots? I could easily take it apart and figure it out but I figured this would be easier.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LPJ? Short shaft pots will be ok. They should be recessed from inside the control cavity. If you pop off the back cover you will be able to confirm
I would need to remove the circuit board which is only a few minutes but my wife has me doing chores so it'll have to wait.

·
Premium Member
1,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty sure short will work but I like to use long so that I don't have to poke around too deep while I'm constantly changing pups :)
They will likely only be changed the once. Maybe. I forgot I have a couple sets of humbuckers around so I may have to see which I like best.

·
Premium Member
4,545 Posts
I bought long shaft when I upgraded my Junior, I could have gone with short pots, as the wood is not near 3/4" thick at the pots

1 - 6 of 6 Posts