The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all looking at getting back into playing since my old Fame 756 is broke and I want to get a new guitar.

I like alot of old style metal like Metallica, ACDC, black sabbath GNR and new stuff as well. I know you can make any guitar sound similar to others using pedals but I can't decide.

I came across a few on Ebay can someone take a look?

LP Style http://tinyurl.com/y8l5x5
SG Style http://tinyurl.com/y2zz6r

Thanks,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'd suggest you stick with what you know, maybe an Epi, I think we have a Tokai dealer on here, I think some of the guys have used Agiles.

And check our classifieds.

Buying a noname off of Ebay can be risky IMO.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HI there, thanks for the response. But to be honest its been so long, I remember nothing. I want something I can play at a beginner level, intermediate and advanced. I don't want to have to buy 2 or 3 guitars for a while anyway ;)

I want the metallics RTL+ sound, the ACDC sound and yes Beatles, Elvis sound to entertain my folks and others who like that style. I am a fast learner and with practice I can be pretty good at it.

Something that looks good and fits nicely on your knee so you can sit and play is an asset too.

Thanks again,
Jeff

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
HFXRock said:
HI there, thanks for the response. But to be honest its been so long, I remember nothing. I want something I can play at a beginner level, intermediate and advanced. I don't want to have to buy 2 or 3 guitars for a while anyway ;)

I want the metallics RTL+ sound, the ACDC sound and yes Beatles, Elvis sound to entertain my folks and others who like that style. I am a fast learner and with practice I can be pretty good at it.

Something that looks good and fits nicely on your knee so you can sit and play is an asset too.

Thanks again,
Jeff
Well if you want something that will last you as you advance than the guitars you mention on Ebay are definately not the way to go. If it's been a long time find a guitar playing friend and head to your local music store and try some out.

As for sounding like a particular band, the amplifier plays as much if not more a part in the sound you are hearing. But that's another can worms.

·
Registered
233 Posts
There are a lot of different guitars out there that would give you the sounds your looking for, you sould do as mentioned above and go out and try out as many as you can to see what feels good to you first. Buying an el cheapo off of ebay may kick start your interest and get you back into the playing game but you may soon find that what you bought is better suited for firewood.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If your looking for a good sound go to your local music store and try out a few of the guitars there. If you need something to get you back into playing guitars, listen to other great guitarsist (that usually makes me want to pick up the ol'guitar)

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
The Epi's are fine guitars for the money, you said the key thing ... to you it felt good and sounded good. Epis are easily upgradeable down the line if you so decide, but I'd probably suggest replacing the electronics. Happy picking...
:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Yes, I think you did good.
Buying a $100 guitar off of Ebay, well, you get what you pay for. It might have been so crappy it'd turn you off playing.
I think Epi is a good deal for the $.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot, I haven't gotten it since i had to order it. But I did find out my old amp was shot so I went back to musicstop and got the Fender G-Dec. Its small but packs a punch imo. no need to buy pedals which is a plus for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts