1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
What do you think, is the guitar a legit custom?

A custom it is not, a custom lite it is

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
Had one before. Nice looking and sounding.
Very overpriced currently, but I would consider trading something for one.
Only up to $2500 value.
Save yourself a $1000 and get Orville by Gibson from Japan.

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
And what didnt you like about it?
I won't speak for @tdotrob but here's my observations:

1. It sounds almost identical to my 2021 Les Paul Custom - the custom is a touch brighter which may be attributable to the ebony board.
2. The thin body takes some getting used to, and it has a belly cut. No binding on the back.
3. Guitar is very light compared to most Les Pauls. Mine is 7 lb 2 oz, compared to my custom at 9 lbs even.
4. There is a switch in the place of the second tone control (guitar has a master tone) that splits the coils of the pickups.
5. Headstock inlays and fret markers are pearloid, they're mother of pearl on the Custom.
6. Rosewood board vs Ebony. Most I've seen have a very dark rosewood.

They are different, and seemed to get a lot of internet hate early on when they came out. If I hadn't found a custom I'd never consider getting rid of mine.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
They are different, and seemed to get a lot of internet hate early on when they came out. If I hadn't found a custom I'd never consider getting rid of mine.
I think they are cool. But there wasn't an internet (as we know it) when these first came out (1987) and they originally had MOP and Ebony. Of course the originals are now stupid money like everything else.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I won't speak for @tdotrob but here's my observations:

1. It sounds almost identical to my 2021 Les Paul Custom - the custom is a touch brighter which may be attributable to the ebony board.
2. The thin body takes some getting used to, and it has a belly cut. No binding on the back.
3. Guitar is very light compared to most Les Pauls. Mine is 7 lb 2 oz, compared to my custom at 9 lbs even.
4. There is a switch in the place of the second tone control (guitar has a master tone) that splits the coils of the pickups.
5. Headstock inlays and fret markers are pearloid, they're mother of pearl on the Custom.
6. Rosewood board vs Ebony. Most I've seen have a very dark rosewood.

Thanks for that - interestingly the kijij example has the standard 2 vol 2 tones, which is why I thought it was odd. Should have mentioned that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts