The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been offered one of these with some decent upgrades. Does anyone here own the 50's (with HumBuckers) model and, if so, what are the hi & lo lights of the model? What if anything have you changed on it for better performance?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a honeyburst one with p90's light back and it was a decent little guitar for the price (paid $450). There were a few things I didn't like about it... it was just too light, I felt like it needed a little more heft. The tuners were ok but not the best; I found they went out of tune a little more than I liked. Aside from that, it was a good looking guitar at the price point and the neck wasn't half bad. My plans were to change the tuners and put a set of Seymour antiquities in it but I found another LP that already had than done.

I've played the HB one and would change the pups on it if I owned it. I prefer something a little hotter than the 490 and 498 I think they came with.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Too light would be a plus for me. I have one full size LP and it's the chambered Epiphone Ultra 1. Love the tone on that one.
Tuners are rarely the reason for not unstable tuning on a guitar, except maybe for really cheap stamped tuners. The nut that binds strings is usually the culprit. Badly wound strings around the posts would be another one, but I doubt this was losch79 problem.

These remarks might not be specific to the guitar you are looking at, but things that "I" would look for if I had tuning problems.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
I've had two of the 50s LP Tribute GTs, and both had P90s. I haven't owned one with humbuckers, though. The ones I had did NOT have binding on the fingerboards (so obviously no nibs on the frets), and had the silk-screened "Gibson" on the headstocks. Nice big 50s style necks, and played very nicely. Wish I had kept one - or both - of them....

John
thegrumpyoldman

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have a 60s P90 GT and the resonance from the chambered body is amazing. Gibson P90s are as good as it gets -- no need to replace. I really like the weight relief! A buddy of mine buffed his 50s top to a very nicely polished finish. Only mod to mine was 50s wiring for treble bleed.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts
I bought one new from Bestbuy, I beleive a '16 model in late '15.

It was the dual HBs in ebony, I felt the other two finishes, the back colours should've been swapped.
Anyway, the came to me set up fairly well, I just had to tweak the intonation.
If anything, I found the neck to be a '59 carve, judging by my R8.
It's bigger than a slim taper for sure, not that "fat" though.

After a bit of climatization, I encountered some buzz starting.
I check the truss rod and it not really even engaged, so no relief available the conventional way. :)
I gave it a bit of relief and snugged up the truss rod, it seemed Ok after that.

I traded that in on the R8 when it arrived.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.