The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been offered one of these with some decent upgrades. Does anyone here own the 50's (with HumBuckers) model and, if so, what are the hi & lo lights of the model? What if anything have you changed on it for better performance?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had a honeyburst one with p90's light back and it was a decent little guitar for the price (paid $450). There were a few things I didn't like about it... it was just too light, I felt like it needed a little more heft. The tuners were ok but not the best; I found they went out of tune a little more than I liked. Aside from that, it was a good looking guitar at the price point and the neck wasn't half bad. My plans were to change the tuners and put a set of Seymour antiquities in it but I found another LP that already had than done.

I've played the HB one and would change the pups on it if I owned it. I prefer something a little hotter than the 490 and 498 I think they came with.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Too light would be a plus for me. I have one full size LP and it's the chambered Epiphone Ultra 1. Love the tone on that one.
Tuners are rarely the reason for not unstable tuning on a guitar, except maybe for really cheap stamped tuners. The nut that binds strings is usually the culprit. Badly wound strings around the posts would be another one, but I doubt this was losch79 problem.

These remarks might not be specific to the guitar you are looking at, but things that "I" would look for if I had tuning problems.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
I've had two of the 50s LP Tribute GTs, and both had P90s. I haven't owned one with humbuckers, though. The ones I had did NOT have binding on the fingerboards (so obviously no nibs on the frets), and had the silk-screened "Gibson" on the headstocks. Nice big 50s style necks, and played very nicely. Wish I had kept one - or both - of them....

John
thegrumpyoldman

·
Registered
450 Posts
I have a 60s P90 GT and the resonance from the chambered body is amazing. Gibson P90s are as good as it gets -- no need to replace. I really like the weight relief! A buddy of mine buffed his 50s top to a very nicely polished finish. Only mod to mine was 50s wiring for treble bleed.

·
Premium Member
16,624 Posts
So there are chambered bodies Gibson LPs. Hmm ... never looked into that.
The 60's must have a small neck though ?
Any fat neck chambered LPs ?
Newer standards and classics I think. I cant remember but i think most of them went to weight relief except the traditionals.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Any fat neck chambered LPs ?
My understanding of the 50's Tributes is they're chambered, with the fatter 50's neck carve...

Reactions: Budda

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
I bought one new from Bestbuy, I beleive a '16 model in late '15.

It was the dual HBs in ebony, I felt the other two finishes, the back colours should've been swapped.
Anyway, the came to me set up fairly well, I just had to tweak the intonation.
If anything, I found the neck to be a '59 carve, judging by my R8.
It's bigger than a slim taper for sure, not that "fat" though.

After a bit of climatization, I encountered some buzz starting.
I check the truss rod and it not really even engaged, so no relief available the conventional way. :)
I gave it a bit of relief and snugged up the truss rod, it seemed Ok after that.

I traded that in on the R8 when it arrived.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
Been offered one of these with some decent upgrades. Does anyone here own the 50's (with HumBuckers) model and, if so, what are the hi & lo lights of the model? What if anything have you changed on it for better performance?
did you get it? how do you like it? i've been looking for one of the dark back models

1 - 10 of 10 Posts