The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Les Paul, Tele, Strat, SG, Gretsch
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Epiphone Les Paul built in November of 1994 serial # 0004. It is one of the best sounding LP's I own, but the workmanship on the fretboard inlays is something I would have expected from later in the run. They are off center and angled. Are first in the run usually not more carefully built and inspected ?

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Red Audio equipment Font

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

String instrument String instrument Musical instrument Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

·
Banned
14,099 Posts
Are first in the run usually not more carefully built and inspected ?
Maybe whoever set up the fretboard for routing was hungover that morning? lol
It's a Samick factory build (serial beginning with S). Known for better quality in Korea at that time.
I wouldn't worry about aesthetics too much if, as you say, 'one of the best sounding that I own'.
If it plays as good as it sounds, be happy.

Reactions: Acoustic Tom

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Are first in the run usually not more carefully built and inspected ?

View attachment 379767
Historically speaking with offshore manufactured guitars it's usually the opposite. It often takes some time for them to get their act together in terms of quality control. This can be seen in numerous incarnations of Squiers, Epiphones and even Mexican Fenders, newer is usually better.

·
Premium Member
19,067 Posts
Actually, and it may be just the angle, but it looks to me like the inlays may be fine, but the neck or bridge may be out of alignent.

·
Registered
Les Paul, Tele, Strat, SG, Gretsch
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Milkman. That is just the angle. Alignment of neck and bridge is good. On the other end of the serial number spectrum here is 07999 from the 'Custom Shop'. It is a Root Beer Burst limited run for L&M back in '09. The pickups, bridge and tailpiece all line up to each other, but are offset to the body.

Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument Musical instrument accessory

Product Metal Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Not sure why that particular serial number would make any difference. They likely made thousands of those exact guitars before your example.

·
Superb Moderator
617 Posts
Not sure why that particular serial number would make any difference. They likely made thousands of those exact guitars before your example.
Especially with numbers and letters preceding the 00000001 part.

Still neat to have a non "random" number..

I have a '55 Fender Deluxe (small box) with serial number #0149, a few Serial #1 pedals etc.. just something cool to have.

·
Premium Member
2,007 Posts
Especially with numbers and letters preceding the 00000001 part.

Still neat to have a non "random" number..

I have a '55 Fender Deluxe (small box) with serial number #0149, a few Serial #1 pedals etc.. just something cool to have.
The serial number decoder say
S = Samick
4 = 1994
11 = November
0004 = Production number

So presumably, there could have been up to 10,000 guitars built in October with serial numbers S410XXXX. Same thing for September, August, etc., etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts