The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey! I have a 90s Japanese 335 that came with really hot humbuckers (16K!) and I'd love to look for a set of lower output PAFs for it so that I can get some more clarity, especially cause I play without a pic. I love the guitar but it's not an especially expensive instrument, so I don't wanna put too much money into this (there's a refret on the horizon). So no super expensive boutique pickups. I've been looking at Vineham, so that or similar brands would be cool.

Used between $100-150 for the pair would be great.

Lemme know what you have :)

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Consider the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary pickups. They are low output and well balanced.
They're pretty well priced as well! Seem to be out of stock at LnM and Cosmo though. Anyone wanna sells theirs?

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added a price range. Yeah, might be a long shot but I think I saw a pair of Vinehams sell in that range recently, so trying my luck.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you’re looking for cheaper pickups, I would give the tone emporium PAFs a shot.
i put a set in 2 guitars I made and they both like them A lot.
Surprised I haven't heard of them before but they look really good! Don't need the covers, and that combined with the sale makes them out to be very reasonable. The only thing is that I don't need any coil splitting or any of that. Can they be installed without doing that? Does it affect the tone?

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Surprised I haven't heard of them before but they look really good! Don't need the covers, and that combined with the sale makes them out to be very reasonable. The only thing is that I don't need any coil splitting or any of that. Can they be installed without doing that? Does it affect the tone?
when I got them they were 2 wire, they seem to be 4 now. Shouldn’t make much difference if any, it just gives you the possibility of wiring options, that I wouldn’t use.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Can they be installed without doing that? Does it affect the tone?
As @RBlakeney states, the pickups can be installed without the coil splitting feature.
Tone Emporium (assumedly) will send diagrams re: wiring. IMO, tone is not affected. My humbuckers in my 339 have been "converted" from 4 wire to 2 wire.

Typically, you will need to join and tape off two wires. One of the remaining two will "hot" and the other remaining wire will be "ground".

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.24.08 AM.png

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As @RBlakeney states, the pickups can be installed without the coil splitting feature.
Tone Emporium should/assumedly will send diagrams re: wiring. IMO, tone is not affected. My humbuckers in my 339 have been "converted" from 4 wire to 2 wire.
Alright, great! They have a B-stock set which I think I'll order. I'll have to take it to a tech though cause I have no experience with that stuff at all. And none of the tools either...

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
Alright, great! They have a B-stock set which I think I'll order. I'll have to take it to a tech though cause I have no experience with that stuff at all. And none of the tools either...
Going to a tech for 335 pickups is a good idea.
I had ordered a set of stock and a regular set and I couldn’t tell which was which.

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've ordered a B stock set of TE-20 '59 PAFs. Will update once I receive them and get them installed :) t

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
@Sunny1433 Swapping the neck pickup for the fourth time (it is a long and boring story).
Just got a cover for the Dimarzio 36th Anni. so I'm replacing the stock pickup (again) with it.

The bridge pickup needs to be removed to ONLY to access the tiny route/slot for the pickup wires from the neck and bridge pickup routes in the centre block that go to the control area.
What a pain!!

I have rewired many 335's and full hollow bodies. It can be compared to building a model ship in an opaque bottle...LOL.

DSCF0662.JPG

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@Sunny1433 Swapping the neck pickup for the fourth time (it is a long and boring story).
Just got a cover for the Dimarzio 36th Anni. so I'm replacing the stock pickup (again) with it.

The bridge pickup needs to be removed to ONLY to access the tiny route/slot for the pickup wires from the neck and bridge pickup routes in the centre block that go to the control area.
What a pain!!

I have rewired many 335's and full hollow bodies. It can be compared to building a model ship in an opaque bottle...LOL.

View attachment 324469
Well you're doing at least able to do it haha. I will give it to Cask Music or LnM to make the swap. Gonna be really expensive with the 335 swap I guess..

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Well you're doing at least able to do it haha. I will give it to Cask Music or LnM to make the swap. Gonna be really expensive with the 335 swap I guess..
I would gladly do the swap and/or rewire free of charge (given that you purchase the components) as I enjoy doing this as a hobby. I have done this for at least 8 or 10 other forum members. However, I fully understand that it is not convenient for you due to the distance.

Are you getting a new wiring harness or only a pickup swap?
If it is a straight swap, I would hope that you should not have to pay more that $100.00 to $150.00. However, that is a total guess on my part.

PM if you have any interest in me helping you.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
(he'll never ask for anything but @greco likes coffee and nice pastries)

he helped me (aka he did all of the work) wire up my Sheraton when I got new pickups a few years ago!

·
Premium Member
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
(he'll never ask for anything but @greco likes coffee and nice pastries)

he helped me (aka he did all of the work) wire up my Sheraton when I got new pickups a few years ago!
I would gladly do the swap and/or rewire free of charge (given that you purchase the components) as I enjoy doing this as a hobby. I have done this for at least 8 or 10 other forum members. However, I fully understand that it is not convenient for you due to the distance.

Are you getting a new wiring harness or only a pickup swap?
If it is a straight swap, I would hope that you should not have to pay more that $100.00 to $150.00. However, that is a total guess on my part.

PM if you have any interest in me helping you.
That is SO NICE OF YOU, thanks so much! PM'ing you :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts