The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using a digital tuner, does anyone else tune the low E sting fretted at A.
When the E string is tuned electronically, I assume because of stretching the string, the A fretted is slightly sharp.
Back in the day when tuning forks were used the E was generally tuned to the A string which will leave the E slightly flat when open.
Therefore most rock and blues guitar was recorded with a slightly flat E string and frankly I prefer it.
This seems only to occur significantly with the low E. I assume because of its weight.
Give it a try, you will see what I mean.
Ray

·
Registered
585 Posts
Oh boy. This is a rabbit hole, and that's super interesting... It gets even messier when you consider whether to tune to the attack or the decay. I find that it's logical for rock to tune to the attack, but I'm lazy and it's easier to tune to the decay.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sure most people do. Most people learned to play when electronic tuners were everywhere and cheap.
Try this
Tune your E with the tuner. Fret at 5. check A
then
tune your E string with the tuner fretted at 5
...then check your low E

One of them is wrong and I fret that string more than I play it open

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I'm sure most people do. Most people learned to play when electronic tuners were everywhere and cheap.
Try this
Tune your E with the tuner. Fret at 5. check A
then
tune your E string with the tuner fretted at 5
...then check your low E

One of them is wrong and I fret that string more than I play it open
I primarily play acoustic guitar and cowboy chords at that so I play open E all the time.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Listen to early cowboy.....they had flat Es....Frankly I prefer the flat E sound

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The difference on an acoustic is even greater....I think because the string is heavier

·
Premium Member
9,667 Posts
I'm ham handed, so for the E I always tune a little flat in any case. Not dead on for attack or decay, but biased to the attack, meaning lower/further out rather than close in.

·
Premium Member
6,257 Posts
A lot of tuners don't like that low E, they won't register it properly. I often tune the low E to my high E.

·
Registered
7,094 Posts
I've always tuned the low E a little flat - never thought about it just figured it sounded better.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
I get what you're saying about the tuning fork, but that is assuming everyone tuned by fretting the note.
I always used harmonics, so would go back from the A and not experience what you mentioned.
Also, by that method (tuning fork & fretted note), the D would be relatively sharp, no? :)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I tune the high E string to an E tuning fork,
then tune the B at the fifth fret to the E string (just a wee bit flat),
then the G string at the 9th fret to the high E string
then the D string at the second fret to the high E string
then the A string playing the harmonic at the seventh fret to the high E string
then the bass E string playing the harmonic at the fifth fret to the high E string

works for me

·
Premium Member
3,367 Posts
I dunno. I must be the weirdo that tunes each string to pitch on either my pedal or headstock tuner.

Reminds me of this time at a jam when someone suggests we all tune a wee bit flat to a match one guitar rather than the offending instrument tuning to proper pitch. Seriously? I sat that song out.

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
I'll have a slightly flat E to have the G chord in tune.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The "D" is relatively sharp as all strings are slightly off when tuned against other fretted strings. It is however most noticeable on the low E.

I find it interesting that 2 players have said they tune the E slightly flat because they prefer the sound or they play primarily in G. Maybe I'm not crazy after all because I prefer it too, even when playing a root E chord. I do play a lot in G when conventionally tuned probably because I play in open G as well. When in open G I do not adjust the bass strings, however, I use a five string Keith Richards setup for convenience, so I don't have a "E" string.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Typically I will tune the A to pitch.
Then tune the D to the octave at the 7th.
Tune the G open with the D
Tune B octave with D at 3rd.
e to open B
Then low E to either high e or the octave at the 7th on A string.
Sometimes check it by playing a modified G
G, open D, open G, D on the b

Really should make an effort to use my tuners more.

Guys in the band love it when I wait for them to finish tuning and then say, "gimme your A"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts