The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,106 Posts
Back in 1975, I seen Gentle Giant open for Peter Frampton, I was 10 at the time
They were very unique in their songwriting style !!!!
A great , sadly overlooked band from the Progressive 70's Rock era .

· Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Power and the Glory is one of my favourite albums from that era of music. The big thing about GG is that they are funky as hell! That really sets them apart from other prog rock bands.

TG
At the time prog started, they were all very different. I guess you had to be there try to decipher what was going on as it came out. I played bass then, and when I heard Chris Squire of Yes played these complex syncopated riffs, my head couldn't get around it. Ian Anderson with a flute, can't say that didn't set Jethro Tull apart. ELP, no electric guitar, what was that about ? King Crimson with their long mantra like crescendos and a violin on Lark's Tongue in Aspic ... a violin !

The first half of the 70's was just a continuous musical innovation overload. In my late teens early 20's, I was like a sponge, taking it all in.

But yes, Gentle Giant was complexity incarnated.

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
6,452 Posts
Into the creation process of a great album

That's really slick to hear. Thanks for sharing that. I think all things I try and write from now on might have the lyrics

mama, bap dee bluuu, dee bluuu bap bap.

This sounds like a good approach to laying vocal melodies before having to worry about lyrics and voicing so much.

I gotta sit down with this later! Thanks.

· Registered
3,478 Posts
At the time prog started, they were all very different. I guess you had to be there try to decipher what was going on as it came out. I played bass then, and when I heard Chris Squire of Yes played these complex syncopated riffs, my head couldn't get around it. Ian Anderson with a flute, can't say that didn't set Jethro Tull apart. ELP, no electric guitar, what was that about ? King Crimson with their long mantra like crescendos and a violin on Lark's Tongue in Aspic ... a violin !

The first half of the 70's was just a continuous musical innovation overload. In my late teens early 20's, I was like a sponge, taking it all in.

Love KC, Yes is good at times, JT is prog? Lol

GG is funky In a way the others are not.

· Registered
125 Posts
Table Wood Art Audio equipment Public address system

I'm a huge fan of Gentle Giant and was lucky enough to grab a copy of this this limited edition deluxe box set "Unburied Treasure". All 12 original albums remastered plus 15 unreleased live albums, plus a Blu-ray of the debut album remixed by Stephen Wilson in high-res and 5.1 surround including instrumental mixes. The studio remasters sound amazing and the live ones and outtakes are great to so-so (but historically important - many audience tapes). Also has a beautiful hardcover book, replica tour posters, replica Playing The Fool booklet (originally in the first 10,000 albums) and a signed B&W band promo photo. Oh...and it wouldn't be complete without a puzzle with a missing piece!

· Registered
2,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 462440

I'm a huge fan of Gentle Giant and was lucky enough to grab a copy of this this limited edition deluxe box set "Unburied Treasure". All 12 original albums remastered plus 15 unreleased live albums, plus a Blu-ray of the debut album remixed by Stephen Wilson in high-res and 5.1 surround including instrumental mixes. The studio remasters sound amazing and the live ones and outtakes are great to so-so (but historically important - many audience tapes). Also has a beautiful hardcover book, replica tour posters, replica Playing The Fool booklet (originally in the first 10,000 albums) and a signed B&W band promo photo. Oh...and it wouldn't be complete without a puzzle with a missing piece!
We now need to come crash to your place for a weekend.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
I like Gentile Giant more than Frank

I liked Gentile Giant more than Frank Zappa . GG had a lot more complex melodies than Frank .
Those arpeggios that the keyboardist did for GG are a lot more complex than Yngwie Malmsteen.

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
6,452 Posts
I like Gentile Giant more than Frank

I liked Gentile Giant more than Frank Zappa . GG had a lot more complex melodies than Frank .
Those arpeggios that the keyboardist did for GG are a lot more complex than Yngwie Malmsteen.
I have known of the existence of Gentle Giant for... uh, about 18 hours now. In that time, I have come to love them.

I have known of Frank Zappa for over 20 years and still can't figure out what people like about that guy.

· Registered
1,106 Posts
I have known of the existence of Gentle Giant for... uh, about 18 hours now. In that time, I have come to love them.

I have known of Frank Zappa for over 20 years and still can't figure out what people like about that guy.
Frank Zappa used to own some complexes, in North Hollywood, where bands would rehearse . Everyone that had a reputation / steady gigs on the Sunset strip and established bands would rehearse there .
My then bass player went up to Frank Zappa as a fan and he was less than kind to him .... I was blown away by that .... I guess Frank was having a bad day and venting. 🤨

1 - 17 of 17 Posts