The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a love hate relationship going on throughout my guitar career. It’s the

COILED GUITAR CABLE!!!

I disliked them until just a few years ago. Now I feel that they’re :
- safer
- cooler
- reminiscent of great music from our past
- less tangled when you’re playing on stage
- reduce trippage
- could add as a bungee (Lol)

Alert: they’re on sale at LM AND amazon. $30 for EBMM. 30’ coiled.

Go get em.

As you were.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I got an Ernie ball coiled 30 ft , I thought would be cool to have and use, but I regret buying it...it’s heavy , it gets caught on things , it’s hard to store as it’s longer now then when I bought it . It’s lost a couple coils.
If I was on stage it might be different but jamming in a small area , it is rarely stretched out..

·
Premium Member
11,675 Posts
Loved them, hated them, loved them, lost them, can't get them back.

Wait, what are we talking about?

·
Premium Member
19,019 Posts
I haven’t used a curly cord for many years.

These days wireless technology is good enough that I don’t think I have to choose cables for the initial cinnection any longer.

·
Premium Member
11,675 Posts
Oh yeah, curly cords. I had a decent one a few years ago but it died with a break midway. I recently bought four orange Orange straight cords.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Ricks right.
it’s heavy
But, my old coily (off white) was on the desk one day under a lamp, turned the light off, and it glowed in the dark!!!
That’s gotta be worth the weight, annoyance, noise, tangles and everything.

IT GLOWS IN THE DARK!!!!!!!
Insect Organism millipedes Invertebrate

·
Premium Member
9,794 Posts
I have a white one going from my amp to pedal board for several years now, and like how I can position the lead coming out of the amp across the top of my cab for that extra 5% protection against yanking the amp off the cab (lightweight bass heads). I find them heavy and a little awkward right out of guitar/bass, but would use in a pinch.

·
Premium Member
1,512 Posts
I have had the Traynor one for about 5 years. It recently failed. They replaced it under warranty.

I just bought the Ernie Ball, white with 90 degree end. It is perfect in every way except it is tone sucking. The highs are gone, and the sound is sterile.

It is going back. I talked with the Ernie Ball people in California first.

I love the length, the colour, utility, and most important, it plugs straight into a Tele at 90 degrees, which is great for sitting on the couch.

It is going back.

·
Registered
6,668 Posts
I have never used a coily cord in my life. Thats 45 years of playing "coily cord free". I've always been meaning to investigate wireless. I don't know if its worth it as I don't go anywhere from my space. I have never felt restricted with a cable. Some say that different cables can have different subtle characteristics, can any one tell me if wireless has its own sound or is more transparent?

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I have never used a coily cord in my life. Thats 45 years of playing "coily cord free". I've always been meaning to investigate wireless. I don't know if its worth it as I don't go anywhere from my space. I have never felt restricted with a cable. Some say that different cables can have different subtle characteristics, can any one tell me if wireless has its own sound or is more transparent?
I notice a different sound between wireless and cable, but with my Line 6 G10, at least, it's very subtle. The cable maybe gives it a touch more presence, but with some knob tweaking I can get the wireless sound to sound like the cable sound and probably vice versa.

·
Premium Member
Air guitar
3,254 Posts
Meh, I went wireless

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used to hate the real old-style curly cords that looked like something that came off an old desk phone. The newer ones are much better. I've been using one for about 12 years. I have no love lost for straight cords that get stepped on and pull out of the guitar, or worse, damage the input jacks in the amp.

·
Premium Member
4,952 Posts
I think you did. Remember those rotary telephones?

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
back in the day the other player in my band jumped and moved around like angus and some of the others. it made for a great show. however, he'd go through at least 1 cable per show no matter how good the cable was. we didn't have wireless stuff available to us back in the paleozoic era, so i started fabbing "telephone" (curly) cords. those could do 3-4 shows before i had to snip the ends off and remake new ones

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I recently bought the VOX curly cable. Per other comments, it’s heavy.

That being said, I still like it.

Would I buy again? Likely. I have many straight cables that are twisted and that, I don’t like.

G

·
jumped and moved around like angus and some of the others. it made for a great show.
I watched a band where the guitar did this with a straight cord.
He circled around a lot, but, in the same direction.
By the end of the first set, his cord was so tangled up, he grabbed a new cord for set two instead of trying to untangle that one. lol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts