The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You ever fall in love with a guitar within a few seconds/minutes of playing it?

I think that just happened to me. I don't even like the colour, but the other one that's there in a different colour does nothing for me.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,843 Posts
It has happened to me. A shop I worked at years ago had a guy come in to sell a guitar he made in luthier school. Apparently he was in some dire straights and needed cash quick.

I gave the guitar a quick look and was impressed at how well it was built. Tuned it up and strummed one fat E chord. It filled the whole room and sounded fantastic! Certainly the best I had ever heard out of an acoustic guitar up to that point. Loved it right away!

We didn't have the kind of clientele who would buy a guitar like that, so we couldn't justify buying it from him and he didn't want to wait for a consignment sale. At the time, I was a broke/starving wannabe musician so I couldn't pay out of pocket for it either.

He left the store and I never knew what happened to him or his guitar after that.

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
The Taylor 322e. 'nuff said.

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Last August I ended up at a guitar shop in newmarket and they had lots of nice martin guitars. Played an HD28V which I figured was the best one there and better than the D41 that they had and so on. Didn't buy it right then but was innarested and played a few 28Vs in the various stores down in TO over the next two weeks. Realized that I had to get the one in newmarket even though I was not looking for another guitar. Went back up there, made an offer or two and bought the son of a bitch for a good price. That's the way it goes.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I don't know about love at first strum but the most surprising was when I picked up a Martin DX1A and strummed a few chords. I thought, wow, this is nice. Then I looked at the price and couldn't believe it. I have played a D-18, likely Martin's flagship guitar and a D-28 but I was more impressed with the DX1A. I was going to buy one but unfortunately the neck is too narrow for these hands and fingers of mine.

Reactions: jdto

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a Gretsch G5420T in orange. I almost bought it, but I didn't really like the pickups all that much after I plugged it in. The guitar is light (for an Electromatic), resonates like crazy and the neck is comfortable, with slick, well-dressed frets and a nice, smooth rosewood board. It does need some work on the not, as it's a touch high for my tastes, but that was the only negative to the feel and easily remedied.

I've tried several Electromatics and haven't always liked the way they feel, but that one was pretty sweet. The Blacktop Filtertrons get good reviews, but after I plugged it in, I decided to wait and think about it because I was underwhelmed. I suppose I could throw in a set of TV Jones and get the sound I'm after. I played a White Falcon and it's so 3D and airy and beautiful. The sound just comes at you in waves when clean and a crunchy Filtertrons is my favourite sound. That's a sound I want and could be happy with for a long time.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
People who fall in love right away have mental issues, and are unstable in my opinion.

I developed a strong relationship with my Monty over time. We didn't necessarily start off slow - we felt each other out, realized this was it, and now we fuck all the time while looking eachother in the eyes. Every now and again, I'll picture playing my old ernie ball while we're doing it though, but I think that's healthy.

·
Administrator
16,408 Posts
People who fall in love right away have mental issues, and are unstable in my opinion.

I developed a strong relationship with my Monty over time. We didn't necessarily start off slow - we felt each other out, realize this was it, and now we fuck all the time while looking eachother in the eyes. Every now and again, I'll picture playing my old ernie ball while we're doing it though, but I think that's healthy.
You have a sick and twisted mind, which I like ;-)

·
Premium Member
17,158 Posts
I want to know - are we talking love at first strum like "this guitar elevates my playing beyond expectation and inspires me to better myself" or just recognizing that a specific guitar has mojo that sets it apart from the next one on the wall?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts

I developed a strong relationship with my Monty over time. We didn't necessarily start off slow - we felt each other out, realize this was it, and now we fuck all the time while looking eachother in the eyes. Every now and again, I'll picture playing my old ernie ball while we're doing it though, but I think that's healthy.
I want to know - are we talking love at first strum like "this guitar elevates my playing beyond expectation and inspires me to better myself" or just recognizing that a specific guitar has mojo that sets it apart from the next one on the wall?
When I picked up the LP I've played as my #1 for the last 30+ years, it was all about the mojo. I'm thinking if I went back in time and could choose a guitar knowing what I know now......I'd probably have picked up a different one. Mine was a total and absolutely unstable 16 year old mental [email protected]! Glad my mental issues worked out for the best.

·
Premium Member
712 Posts
Modern Gretsch, 6119 Tennessee Rose. Still have it. After playing acoustic for 30 years, it was an easy transition to electrics. And the GAS madness began. That was 6 years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,193 Posts
Yes, my '62 SG Special. It was by far the lightest and most resonant electric guitar I had ever strummed. It was also the only Gibson that immediately felt "right" in my hands and, to this day, I believe it was destined specifically for me. I haven't experienced the same visceral response to any other instrument, before or since.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Yes, my '62 SG Special. It was by far the lightest and most resonant electric guitar I had ever strummed. It was also the only Gibson that immediately felt "right" in my hands and, to this day, I believe it was destined specifically for me. I haven't experienced the same visceral response to any other instrument, before or since.
This is pretty much my story with the "79 LP Deluxe, except for the weight (10 Pounder). Couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Way back when Cosmo was on mainstreet richmond hill I ended up there with a friend after we'd been looking at les pauls all over the place for a few weeks; new in stores and some in the classifieds etc. I couldn't find one that I liked and then we were at Cosmo so I pulled an LP off the wall plugged it in and played for about 10 minutes. That guitar worked real good for me and I was playing stuff that I didn't normally play. My friend, who was a good player, says to me that's the one you should get. I didn't have any money as usual and the guitar was some nasty looking red/yellow burst with chrome pickups so it stayed behind when I left. I still remember that one and a few others that stood out along the way so there is something to finding an exceptional guitar for yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Yes, my 1991 SG three knob special. It was advertised on Craig's list for about $300 less than it should have been. It was a two hour drive away but I love SGs and this model was new to me. Arranged to meet in a Starbuck's parking lot. First strum of an A chord I knew this guitar was coming home with me. I knew there had to be something wrong because of the price but I couldn't find anything obvious. It played fine so I figured it must be something in the electronics which I couldn't test. Got home plugged it in and it sounded even better than it played. It quickly became my number one. About a year later I finally had to adjust the truss rod and found that it was at the end of it's travel with no more adjustment and the neck was almost dead flat with no bow at all. I put some really thick strings on, tuned it up to an F, slacked the truss rod right off, and left it for a couple of weeks. Managed to put a slight bow in it so I went back to my regular .009's and have been happily playing it ever since. I've gone through at least 20 guitars since I got this one and have never once considered selling it.

·
Registered
9,463 Posts
My guitar teacher was trusting enough to lend me his Parker for the weekend! I just knew I had to have one!

I searched endlessly for one! I found one with z great story behind it! The person who owned it had it sent from the Parker US to Afghanistan. He did a tour of duty with it. He said it was the only thing that kept his sanity!

He has offered to buy the guitar back from me but I told him I would never part with it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts