The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Ever done that experiment in school with the plastic rod to generate static electricity (static electricity can cause noise; get off the carpet or put on rubber soled shoes; sheilding could help; buckers would probably be immune)?

Why would you rub the pickguard anyway - is it a wangcaster?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guitar has dual buckers. When ever you touch the pick guard it crackles out of the amp. I have had it apart years ago all looks good .

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I have the same problem on several (but not all) guitars. The fascinating part is that I can often have someone else handle the same guitar right beside me, and it doesn't crackle for them. It's not always the same shoes or clothing for me, so not correlated. Have taken several of these guitars apart and the shielding and grounding always looks great. Have had techs stare blankly at me, no ideas. Rubbing the pickguard with a used Bounce sheet makes it go away for a while, but it comes back in 15-30min of play -- this is annoying and I'd love to get to a root cause resolution. My best guess is that I am just too high impedance.

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Well if a bounce sheet helps temporarily then it is static electricity. At least in @LexxM3 's case.

Interesting that it affects buckers. Have you tried removing the guard? ... or if the electronics are attached to it, insulating it with masking tape or something? Grounding yourself (either wearing a grounding bracelet like comp technicians might, or touching a large grounded surface like a pipe and then only standing on a rubber mat). None as a permanent solution, but as a way of confirming what's going on.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the same problem and tried everything on a Strat I built. I finally sandblasted the sheen off the front of the pickguard and it went away. It gave the black guard a matte finish that looks really nice (and I would have done anything to get rid of that nasty crackling).

·
Premium Member
18,957 Posts
I had the same problem and tried everything on a Strat I built. I finally sandblasted the sheen off the front of the pickguard and it went away. It gave the black guard a matte finish that looks really nice (and I would have done anything to get rid of that nasty crackling).
FINALLY, a solution!

We have had several threads about this problem/frustration through time and never a very convincing approach, IIRC.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I'll have to check if my Esquire does it (the static crackling). If so, taking the pickguard off an Esquire doesn't even require loosening the strings, so it would be a fast/easy candidate to try the finish removal approach.

·
Premium Member
18,957 Posts
I'll have to check if my Esquire does it (the static crackling). If so, taking the pickguard off an Esquire doesn't even require loosening the strings, so it would be a fast/easy candidate to try the finish removal approach.
This is an exciting test for this problem and the possible solution (sincerely)!
Especially with your personal high impedance...couldn't resist.

·
Premium Member
5,418 Posts
I had and still have the same issue with my Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. I've been using bounce to get rid of it. But that doesn't last very long. Worse case scenario I'll just take out the pick guard.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
It might take awhile to get the shine right off but could work. Mine was an aftermarket one that cost $10, I don't know if I would have done it with my Deluxe Strat.

·
Registered
18,586 Posts
I had and still have the same issue with my Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin. I've been using bounce to get rid of it. But that doesn't last very long. Worse case scenario I'll just take out the pick guard.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Interesting point. When I got my 5th Avenue Kingpin II, I took the pickguard off right away and have never had a static problem. Maybe that is the answer.

·
Premium Member
12,980 Posts
If one doesn't have access to a sandblaster, I imagine a high grit sandpaper would do the same job?
Let us know how that works out. I have the same problem with my blackguard tele. I'll sacrifice a pg if it works. Like the Esquire in the post above, I don't even have to take the strings off to remove and modify it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Had exactly the same problem with a Kirn tele. Just touching the pickguard caused quite noticeable static.
I know it's not the same situation, but for what it's worth, my fix was just to line the under surface of the pickguard with foil tape (about 2 inches wide, not duct tape, available at any decent hardware store) and make sure something metal, in my case the control plate, touched the foil when the guard was reinstalled.
Worked like a charm. Absolutely no more static.

(This pic shows the tape as a gold colour. Don't know why. It's silver.)

Totally invisible after the fix.....

[/URL]

·
Premium Member
5,451 Posts
scotchbrite on the pickguard

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I finally got around to doing something about the static on one of the guitars (Baja, absolutely awesome Tele, by the way!). Here is what I did in pictures. Seems to have worked!

(rest of pictures in next post, there seems to be a limit per post).

The foil tape is ventilation ducting tape, $12.50 + tax at HD for 48mm by 45m - lifetime supply for a school of guitarists.

The grounding is achieved primarily by contact with foil and control plate.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.