The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People’s addiction to their “smartphone” is getting out of hand, isn’t it?

Case in point. We live on a lake and have all the usual “toys” that come with that so my son, his wife, and kids invited another couple and their kids to my place for the Monday holiday. The kids are all friends and go to school together. So far so good. We like to share.

Anyway, the dad in that family, turns out, is one of those who can’t function without his godamn phone right in his face at all times. The adults are all sitting around and chatting but not this guy. He just stares at his phone. Mute. I figured he’s an emergency doctor closely monitoring a life&death situation or something. But no. He’s just a rude jerk that just can’t put that fu$#n thing down and away. Rule in my house is no phone and no “technology” allowed when it’s a nice day out when the kids and grandchildren visit. I came this close to lay down the law (but my wife knee’d me under the table, so no).

But, the kicker is at day’s end when this guy goes to help his young daughter get her fishing line unstuck. He grabs the rod and yanks like crazy. Of course, and as predicted, the hook and lure get loose and spring right back at him. And boom! The thing promptly gets stuck in his head just above his ear. Wife tries or get it out but to no avail. She cuts the line and the guys goes off to emergency with this hook and big lure hanging off his head/ear. Not funny but funny as hell at the same time, you know. Guy was fine, but embarrassed as hell. Serves him well. Ha ha ha!

So fair warning, people! Lose the phone if you come to my house or get hooked in the head.

Disclaimer. I do not have a “smartphone”.

·
Premium Member
8,816 Posts
He probably didn't like your company. If my face is in my phone at a cottage, I don't like you or you're boring.

If you lived on Rosso, Joseph, or lake Muskoka you probably wouldn't think the same way.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He probably didn't like your company. If my face is in my phone at a cottage, I don't like you or you're boring.

If you lived on Rosso, Joseph, or lake Muskoka you probably wouldn't think the same way.

I don’t think he even had time to figure out whether he like us or not. I, though, had more than enough time to dislike him. I hear you about the snots, pretentious snobs and wannabes on Rosso and Muskoka area. What a bunch a phony “cottagers”

·
Registered
10,222 Posts
Some people ignore social protocol because they don’t give a shit when it comes to smart phone usage.

Rules in at my house/cottage.

-No phones at the dinner table, any social setting for that matter. There are two exceptions for two civil servantsin the family.

-no phones while my hubby and I are in each other’s company especially while driving. I am usually playing a game or whatever but now I just put my phone in the glove box. We actually talk and enjoy each other’s company.

-if you must talk on your phone quiet voices pls. We do not need to know the nature of your call or business. You are NOT that important and neither is your business.

-turn off your annoying ring tone. They’re are other ways of notification unless of course it’s an ACDC ringtone. Lol

-no ear pollution. If you must listen to “your” music do so with your headphones.

I call ppl out if they annoy me with how they are using their smart phone. They don’t care obviously and I will always voice my opinion because frankly, I don’t give a damn as to what ppl think of me.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don't have a phone either.
My cottage happens to be in a "no coverage" zone,actually just a little south of you @Daniel Grenier ,texts do go through eventually, but that's it.
I've had people come to visit and almost panic once they figure out their smart phone is basically useless up there.it's funny as hell (and annoying at the same time)to see them checking the phone every 5 minutes in hopes of life
Some of course are fine with it,others have cut visits short,others have declined invitations if they learn the phone won't work.
I always hear "what if there is an emergency?" We do have a landline,but that is not acceptable to them.
Oh well,at least I know who really wants to be there and who doesn't.
It all seems so bizarre to me .

·
Registered
7,522 Posts
+1 I've strenuously avoided using the iPhone as a social device and limit its business use too, but certainly see others who have been sucked into the vortex.

My wife in her 60s has become like a teenager with her iPhone, social-networking an hour or two every day and sometimes so distracted she misses life going on around her.

A friend's wife, whenever they visit, answers her phone immediately every time it rings, even in mid-sentence in a conversation. It is most-frequently their far-away daughter calling, and even though they speak to each other at least several times every day she answers and has a minutes-long conversation while the rest of us sit around and watch. Incredible.

A 30-minute coffee with another friend would see him pull out his phone fifteen times to check text messages arriving on it. Again, mid-sentence, stop everything, check phone. He's not a doctor on emergency call or anything else requiring that attention.

Don't get me started on the world at large, the twitterverse, with its instantly-stupid communication frenzies.

There are times that I really HOPE somebody detonates an EMP over our heads. Smartphones aren't making people smarter.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

That was my first thought. In my experience 90% of people who are buried in their phones at a social gathering are doing it because they don't want to be there in the first place.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
Lol...funny story.

Full disclosure I turn into that guy when I’m forced into social situations I have no interest in...like kids birthday parties, or events with in laws that run out of steam 15min in.

But it’s funny when you’re out at a nice restaurant and the couple at the table beside you both have their heads buried into their phones.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
I dont care if you use your phone in your home or cottage.

Put that fucker down when you drive.

Also, you guys have cottages?!?!?
Sold ours last fall. Best feeling in years to be free of the fucking thing.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
That was my first thought. In my experience 90% of people who are buried in their phones at a social gathering are doing it because they don't want to be there in the first place.
I'm not so sure about that,I think it's more that they are afraid they are going to miss something,meanwhile they are missing out on what could be happening in the here and now.

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
I can't tell whether you're referring to a phone or a cottage?
Sorry, cottage.

I can’t function without my phone, especially for work... this isn’t the time of Charlemagne.
But I’m not a social media guy....I check in once every couple weeks. I’m not that interesting, nor are my friends (even if they dont know it).

Reactions: Wardo and jdto

·
Premium Member
5,015 Posts
Sorry, cottage.

I can’t function without my phone, especially for work... this isn’t the time of Charlemagne.
But I’m not a social media guy....I check in once every couple weeks. I’m not that interesting, nor are my friends (even if they dont know it).
Yeah, I don't get the need for owning a cottage. I can see renting one but having to maintain two properties seems like so much extra work. I guess we're lucky in that we have a nice home with a backyard in a good neighbourhood. We have our own little oasis.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
You're pleased that your son's friends dad was injured? And then you mock him? Some people have really bad social anxiety and are extremely introverted in certain situations. I think you should limit your cottage invitations to only those people you know and like.
If I read the OP correctly,it was Daniel's son who invited their friends to Daniel's house on the lake , for a day.
Daniel was agreeable,the guy was their with his friend,not like he was among strangers .
Guy was a nob,no excuse,he shouldn't have gone if all he was going to do was stare at his phone .

1 - 20 of 151 Posts