The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hate it when it happens. Don't know if this is the best solution, but it's what I do. Unscrew the locks. I break off a piece of toothpick the same depth as the screw hole. Add a touch of glue. Screw the strap locks back in place. Seems to work ok (for a while). Anyone have better ideas?

·
Registered
48 Posts
i just put a washer over my strap and then put the button on top of that and screw 'er down... then again, im poor. hahah

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Beatles said:
Hate it when it happens. Don't know if this is the best solution, but it's what I do. Unscrew the locks. I break off a piece of toothpick the same depth as the screw hole. Add a touch of glue. Screw the strap locks back in place. Seems to work ok (for a while). Anyone have better ideas?
That idea has worked great for me a number of times. Don't skimp on the supplies. Use a good wood glue and fill the hole with glue, then pretty much fill the hole with the pieces of toothpick. After it is dry there should be not much more than a small hole, so you are pretty close to threading into a solid chunk of wood.

Barring this, get a slighter fatter, longer screw.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
The toothpick thing is definitely the solution. Definitely don't skimp on supplies, because I've had problems with them coming out again.

The other option is to try a good wood filler and leave the hole for a day before putting the screw back in. That's what I've been doing lately, and I haven't had one problem.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've done the toothpick thing a couple times. I usually fill the hole with as many toothpicks dipped in glue as I possibly can. Let it dry for about a day, then screw in the strap button once again. It seems to work. I dont think its ever caused me a problem again.

Just be careful not to get glue on the finish of your guitar.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sure Fire Stap Locks

What I do for the the lower strap button is use a 3" or longer wood screw. And the one up on the horn because a longer screw might crack the horn.......I use Urethane glue with the original screw........it bonds metal wood pretty much anything........it takes moisture for it to cure.......so you have to dampen the parts that are being glued. But once it sets its very, very strong.
try it you'll like it
Ray

·
Registered
87 Posts
Beatles said:
A friend of mine who designs furniture and is an expert in adhesives told me about this method for changing screw sizes (or thread stripping). Mix some graphite with SLOW setting epoxy. Deposit the mixture into the offending hole and carefully screw the screw into the filled hole. Leave over night and you should be able to remove the screw (handy if you have to change a broken strap lock). The dried epoxy/graphite mixture forms an exact mold of the screw-you get an exact fit. I would suggest rubbing thin film of 3 in 1 oil or paraffin on the screw BEFORE inserting it into the wet epoxy. The epoxy will fill the hole, and in theory, the graphite will act as a dry lubricant.

You might want to try this on a scrap piece of wood just to make sure.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
walden said:
i just put a washer over my strap and then put the button on top of that and screw 'er down... then again, im poor. hahah
you too eh?:food-smiley-004: but then again, aren't we all poor, we are after all, musicians.:D

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
SinCron said:
Use a quarter as a strap lock!

I just did that on my latest bass. Heads on the horn, tales on the bottom. My own fitty cent strap locks. :D No strap button so it lets the screw dig in a bit further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts