The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been looking at various looping pedals (stations) lately. I'm intrigued with the Boss RC-2, and looking closely at the RC-20. After watching the demo videos, one demonstation showed the player laying down a bass track using another pedal. So here's my question;

If I want to create a bass line and sound using my guitar, which pedal would I use in conjunction with the looping pedal to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance,

Lawrie

·
Registered
365 Posts
Yeah, probably an Octave pedal or EQ pedal, or both.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey guys, I'm actually in the market for a loop pedal myself and had some questions. I made this post in another forum with no replies. I figure i'll stick it here.

Hey folks,

Alright so I am in the market for a loop pedal. I've searched the internet a lot and called around various music stores but i've only managed to find 3 pedals. I'm sure there's more makes and models, so i'd like some help finding them.

The three pedals that everyone seems to know about are the following...
-Boss RC20XL (along with the other Boss one that's standard sized)
-Boss RC50
-Digitech JamMan

I've tested out all 3 and they arn't quite what i'm looking for.
Here is what I need...

-The ability to loop both my guitar and my mike at the same time.

-Stereo looping so that I can loop various guitar tones.

-At least a semi-decent ease of use. (this is where the RC50 fails miserably) Enough that I can use it live without it hurting the performance.

-I really don't care about memory in terms of saving my loops as I intend to only use it for looping on the fly. Although a decent amount of recording time for the loop would be awesome.

-Obviously i'm looking for as little tone-suck/noise as possible.

Clearly this is a LOT to ask of a pedal, and I doubt i'll be able to purchase it right away as I've only got a couple hundred bucks. But it'll be something to work towards.

So any suggestions for what I'm looking for, or even any loopers other then Boss and Digitech will be most welcome. Thanks guys.

Cheers!
-Falcatarius

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
personally for on the fly looping I find the boomerang the easiest to work with. Switches are big and laid out for ease of use and the master volume is on a foot operable roller for quick adjustment. Not as fancy as some but very functional.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hey Paul,

I just checked out the Boomerang and it actually looks fantastic! One question though, can I use it with my mike and guitar at the same time and is it stereo?

Thanks mate!
-Falcatarius

Edit: I just did a bunch of research on the Boomerang and it turns out it doesn't have a plug for a mike at the same time...

I can't see any way to use both without producing all of my sound from one amp... which would sound terrible. Still, If I could figure out a way to use it for both mic and guitar through seperate speakers it's be perfect.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
personally for on the fly looping I find the boomerang the easiest to work with. Switches are big and laid out for ease of use and the master volume is on a foot operable roller for quick adjustment. Not as fancy as some but very functional.
Looks interesting. I never considered this. Mind you, I've started to look into looping pedals (stations).

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have an old Boss OC2 and you can control the volume on either the octave or the main note, so to answer the question.... yes you can isolate it.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an old Boss OC2 and you can control the volume on either the octave or the main note, so to answer the question.... yes you can isolate it.
That's great. Thanks Paul. I think it's time for a trip to the guitar shop to try the pedals out.

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,381 Posts

Edit: I just did a bunch of research on the Boomerang and it turns out it doesn't have a plug for a mike at the same time...

I can't see any way to use both without producing all of my sound from one amp... which would sound terrible. Still, If I could figure out a way to use it for both mic and guitar through seperate speakers it's be perfect.
You should look into either two or a single stereo delay unit (likely rack mountable) with a hold function. If you use two units, get ones with a foot switch for the hold function and tie the two together with one foot switch.

An Ibanez DMD2000 has this feature as do many other delay units. The factor you will need to consider is how long of a loop you need as different units will have different maximum 'recording' rates.

You will also need a splitter and a mic preamp for your mic, assuming you will want the unaltered signal going to FOH.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Hey Lawrie, before you head out to the store I've got a bit of a heads up for you on a new looping pedal I saw when I was down at Songbird Music the other day, it's made by Boss and it's called the RC-2. Here's a link to the Boss website in Japan with a little more info on it: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/RC-2/details.html

That's great. Thanks Paul. I think it's time for a trip to the guitar shop to try the pedals out.

Lawrie

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Lawrie, before you head out to the store I've got a bit of a heads up for you on a new looping pedal I saw when I was down at Songbird Music the other day, it's made by Boss and it's called the RC-2. Here's a link to the Boss website in Japan with a little more info on it: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/RC-2/details.html
Thanks for letting me know. That's the one that I'm looking at. Probably in combo with an Octave pedal to get a bass tone out of my guitar.

Lawrie

1 - 13 of 13 Posts