The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All- Being an old school Frippertronic ala dual revox man, I was thinking of getting with the times and buying a looper ala Boss RC50, Akia Headrush, Digitech Jamman, EH ...etc

but cant try any out for comparisons and price is no object if I can find what I need.

The main thing I will ned is one that stays true to the tone and has a fair bit of memory say at least 30 stereo minutes in multiple overlay.

I've read some reveiws on severel at HCentral but still cant seem to get a definitive answer.

QUESTION- "Is there anybody out there..." whom uses and has had EXPERIENCE with these devices. Any enlightenment much appreciated.
TIA
Fred

·
Premium Member
3,957 Posts
I had a RC50 for a while. I found it was way too much for the simple stuff I wanted to do (laying down one short rythym track to play over), but it would probably be good for you as it can do multiple overlays etc. I forget the loop time limits but it was quite impressive.

I sold mine to someone here on the forum... maybe he will chime in.

Pete

I

·
0 Posts
+1 on the JamMan. I rented one for a month and had a blast with it. I think I picked up the manual twice in that month -- it has a very intuitive user interface. I bought an RC-20XL as I thought it'd be a cheaper alternative to the JamMan. Cheaper it definitely was, in every way. The preamps on the Boss pedals suck. I found the RC-20XL preamps distorted too easily. I couldn't use it in the loop on my amp where it should go which pretty much negated it's usefulness. And it's user interface was no where near as nice as the JamMan. The JamMan is just a very well thought out product.

Or if you're really willing to invest in looping check out a Gibson Echoplex. It's a rack mount looper that's very powerful. I haven't used one personally but there's a local guy in Ottawa, Wayne Eagles, who does very cool things with his Echoplex.

·
Registered
885 Posts
The main thing I will ned is one that stays true to the tone and has a fair bit of memory say at least 30 stereo minutes in multiple overlay. QUESTION- "Is there anybody out there..." whom uses and has had EXPERIENCE with these devices. Any enlightenment much appreciated.
TIA
Fred
Hi Fred,

I recently went through the same process as you the last couple of months when I decided that I wanted to go the loop station route. Everyone's opinions are different (as with all equipment), but most importantly, you really have to think through how you're going to use it. So let me share my experience.

I use it when we have a light turnout of players in our weekly jam sessions and I have an opportunity to play the guitar (since I'm always playing bass), or when I get together with just my drummer and I need to play both bass and guitar. Being able to practice both instruments at home, work on tunes etc etc., is amazing. I settled on the Boss RC-20XL with the addition of the FS-6 footswitch for phrase shifting. With the addition of an EHX Octave Multiplexor pedal, I can lay down both the bass and guitar parts on the fly without changing instruments.

My setup is shown here: http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?p=73331#post73331

On the issue of memory, I found that the 16 minutes that the 20XL gives me is more than enough. Time wise, a looped bass and guitar part takes up very little time. In my last jam session with my drummer, we played for three hours. Didn't even come close to using the 16 minutes up, and didn't even use all 16 channels....and that was with recording an Intro, A section, and B section for some tunes, with both bass and rhythm guitar parts. If you're recording backing tracks from mp3's or CD's, or just want to save a ton of loops to re-use over and over again, then you will need more channels and more memory.

On the issue of tone, I did not find any negetive effect on tone with the 20XL, at any volume level.

On the issue of stereo, the 20XL is mono. Stereo would have been nice, but only if it gave me the ability to seperate the bass and guitar channels and send the bass track to a bass amp, and the guitar track to a guitar amp. This was something I never considered initially and only came up with practical use. But I came up with a work around, which I posted here; http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=9167

On the downside, I didn't realize that adding a loop station would render the use of my guitar amp effects useless (with the exception of a bit of reverb), so I had to add a distortion pedal ahead of the loop station.

Lastly, unlike yourself, I did fix a budget which was roughly around the $5-600 for everything. I bought the 20XL used from a member here, so I saved quite a bit of money on it. That left plenty of room in my budget to buy all the other stuff that I needed to get the setup I was looking for. A new RC-20XL with the FS-6 footswitch is around $400 with tax, approx. $180 cheaper than the total cost of the RC-50. I didn't think I would get good use of the additional features of the RC-50 to warrant the additional cost. Plus, there's a learning curve with these things, so I thought that the 20XL would be easier to learn having a few less features to deal with. My other consideration was the Digitech Jamman. I found that most people leaned toward Boss quality of workmanship and overall sound, although the most complaints and dissapointments were with the RC-50.

That's about it. I hope that my recent experiences helps you in making a decision.

Lawrie

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have a Boomerang which I find quite useful. It is laid out nice and simple, uses a bit of real estate though, and is great for live gigging. It records up to 4 mins, has a stack feature which allows to lay down extra layers and even has the reverse loop function. All available from easy access tap buttons. It may not have all the features but it has enough to make it a great pedal for jamming etc.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks to all for the info

I recently took another listen to some newer Fripp stuff(99?) and I'm wanting to try some similar sort of ambient/minimlist/auralscape stuff.
Fripps come along way since the early Frippertronic revox's and delays of "Red Scorer Two". Now I think he uses in Quad, a couple of Roland synths and some custom built loopers with stereo delays etc...

Well Id like to thanks those who replied. Im still sitting on the fence on this one. There is a reveiw of 4 types of these things in an older GP issue that Im searching out.
I can see that it's going to be a lot of fun which ever one I decide upon.
Thanks Again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts