The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my first loop pedal a couple of weeks ago. It's nothing special (used Boss RC-1) but I have got to say that I have made more advancements in my playing in those two weeks than, say, the last two years.

I have a PhD in rhythm guitar and have never had the confidence to solo, but it's amazing how quickly you can get a groove going when you lay down a three-chord loop and then start rolling out all your pentatonic scales over top. I'm sure my wife and kids absolutely LOVE it when I spend 30-minutes playing a blues scale forwards, backwards and sideways over the same E, A, B progression :)

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of this is other than to say...if you don't feel confident with your soloing, trade one of your 14 OD/distortion pedals for a loop pedal and the magic will happen.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Along with an old analog metronome (hate electronic blips and beeps for this purpose), a simple looper is my best friend. Excellent way to keep practiced or work out ideas, even when lazy or just not in the mood sometimes.

It's also handy for quick compositions/demos for projects; ex. rather than repeating a simple, short progression, I'll often just lay out all parts of the song and overdub melodies, bass lines, textural stuff etc. then record that from the speaker while I do live lead and accent playing overtop. Listening to the entire three or four minute song this many times consecutively really drives home any spotty playing, and any parts that could use improvement.

The quick undue/redo functionality is particularly nice for errors-just stop when you have the best take and move on to the next dub.

·
Premium Member
4,513 Posts
I got my first loop pedal a couple of weeks ago. It's nothing special (used Boss RC-1) but I have got to say that I have made more advancements in my playing in those two weeks than, say, the last two years.

I have a PhD in rhythm guitar and have never had the confidence to solo, but it's amazing how quickly you can get a groove going when you lay down a three-chord loop and then start rolling out all your pentatonic scales over top. I'm sure my wife and kids absolutely LOVE it when I spend 30-minutes playing a blues scale forwards, backwards and sideways over the same E, A, B progression :)

Anyway, I'm not sure what the point of this is other than to say...if you don't feel confident with your soloing, trade one of your 14 OD/distortion pedals for a loop pedal and the magic will happen.
That's why I have such a large library of backing tracks in various keys without the lead guitar. I love soloing over these.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Thanks. This thread made me use my looper last night. I have the smaller jamman. What I like are the stereo in/out. You can run a bass through one side to a bass amp and guitar on the other.

I had fun looping all the guitar and bass parts for Last Child by Aerosmith.

P

·
0 Posts
I have a Jamman Stereo, but it sucks tone when off so I cannot put it in my chain...

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Not sure if the smaller one sucks tone or not. I thought my tone sounded really good last night in the looped recording.

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Thanks. This thread made me use my looper last night. I have the smaller jamman. What I like are the stereo in/out. You can run a bass through one side to a bass amp and guitar on the other.

I had fun looping all the guitar and bass parts for Last Child by Aerosmith.
That's one thing that I like about the Trio, is that you can do the same.
Run the guitar into a guitar amp and the bass and drums into a bass amp.

·
Premium Member
17,196 Posts
My FX8 has a looper. At some point I'll read the manual section on it and try it out. For now its disabled - i dont want accidental looping mid song!

Reactions: jdto

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
I really need to start using one as I think they could be a great practice tool. Then again, I already know that I suck so do not need any recorded evidence of that!

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
It also helps with your overall timing, and in the end, phrasing. Loopers are great pedals. I had borrowed a friends for quite a while, but I need to grab one for myself.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Thanks, I have one of those that is powered, but it is a pain to have that much extra stuff to do simple looping.
Yeah, I hate the clutter too.

I use the Carl Martin router as well, however, as an active device it colours the sound, so it is purely pragmatic and not part of the aesthetic. Mostly I use my feet to play bass, so the usual array of stompboxes is not possible. Strictly set-and-forget before the song starts.

I like the Bigshot, however, because its bypass and isolated transformer gives me the true guitar/cord/amp sound that I like best. All electronics -- effects, looper, tuner -- are ALL bypassed with the ABY. (And available to two guitars via the Carl Martin.)

BTW readers, by going into a different amp, or amp channel, you can have your loops play in a completely different voice than what is being played over them. I find that having the looper play into the same channel is extremely limiting.

I can't use a looper in a live setting. Repetitive stuff works fine because you can always re-do something, but with more formal structure, the slightest error results in a complete train wreck

A great practice and experimenting tool, as has been said.

Of course, good looping artists are a treat to watch too.

P

·
0 Posts
I was looking for a video where he uses his looper but thought this was really good playing (a little off topic):

1 - 20 of 28 Posts