The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally plugged an 18v power source into my Klon KTR and now it will not turn on. I have sent a few e-mails and voice mail to Bill Finnegan but am not receiving a response so I thought in the meanwhile I would look to see if anyone local (or at least within Canada) is able to repair this for me.

I will also be posting this at TGP where I have gathered up some very helpful information from some of the members there. The suspected part is a "12v/1w zener diode (IIRC the part is an SMAZ12)" It is "D4, which is partially hidden by the ribbon cable for the footswitch and needs to be turned the same was as the old one". The extra level of difficulty is the fact the chips are surface mounted but apparently, the SMAZ12 is large and not as crowded so it is much easier to swap out. The assumption is that protective diode is what is damaged. The next part after that is the datapump that converts the voltage from 9v to 18v internally. If that needs to be switched out as well it is U3, part number ICL7660.

In the two other cases I found it was only the SMAZ12 that was needed to be replaced.

I am hoping I can find an experienced tech that can acquire the parts and get it fix up for me. I have a few other leads on repair options but they are out of country and I would like to try local first.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
25,631 Posts
The parts noted should be available in the GTA. Zener diodes can often be easily replaced with any of a variety of parts with a different number but the same voltage and wattage rating. I've bought 7660 chips at Honson on Queen St. on multiple occasions. Alternatively, dipmicro in Niagara Falls has great prices and speedy service. They carry 1N4742 zeners for 15 cents (4 cents if you buy lots). Unfortunately, no charge pump chips.

Although, knowing Bill, I'd expect him to build in that extra margin of safety, still, doubling an 18V input voltage might exceed the rating of caps expecting to see less than 25V. So keep an eye out for the caps used in the charge-pump circuit.

·
Premium Member
18,314 Posts
I am bumping this in the hope that Mark (mhammer) will see it and offer his comments, advice, etc.

Good Luck in getting the pedal repaired.

Cheers

Dave

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Dave and Mark. I could definitely track down the parts if that makes it easier for whomever does the fix. I am not up to the task of attempting the fix myself so looking for recommendations on a tech. I don't mind shipping.

·
Premium Member
25,631 Posts
I'd offer to fix it, but surface-mount is not my forté, unfortunately. I've had my trial-by-fire, repairing a forum member's Variax, and would prefer to sidestep SMD boards for the time being. Afraid my soldering tip is inappropriately large for the task.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No problem at all, thanks for the insight. I have been told a few times and the reference to a brain surgeon have been made in regards to SMD boards and soldering skills required.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is actually with Brian Duguay now and he sent me an e-mail just last night that it is all fixed up! Brian does all the BYOC builds for Axe and you Shall Receive among of a number of other things.

- - - Updated - - -

I can do SMD. Send me a PM if you haven't found anyone yet.
Thanks very much for the offer.

- - - Updated - - -

How do you get the goop off? 8D
No goop on the ktr

·
Premium Member
4,977 Posts
It is actually with Brian Duguay now and he sent me an e-mail just last night that it is all fixed up! Brian does all the BYOC builds for Axe and you Shall Receive among of a number of other things.
Good to hear and thanks, now we know where to go to in case of issues with the KTR, knowing the chance of Bill fixing any issues with it is practically nil.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to hear and thanks, now we know where to go to in case of issues with the KTR, knowing the chance of Bill fixing any issues with it is practically nil.
Yes, as, I was very happy to get someone local as well. A little disappointing I didn't hear from Bill and not sure how warranty claims would work out for people.

·
Premium Member
25,631 Posts

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks very much for the offer.

- - - Updated - - -

No goop on the ktr
Brian's a good man (and a good picker, too!). Your pedal is safe with him.

As for goop, one of the boons of SMD is that they are often very hard to reverse engineer. Not impossible, mind you, but very hard. I've held up my end in protecting the circuit, as per my agreement with Bill, but there's an awful lot of folks interested in that pedal, with more time and resources on their hands. So, goop, shmoop, they were gonna reverse it eventually.

·
Registered
12,367 Posts

As for goop, one of the boons of SMD is that they are often very hard to reverse engineer. Not impossible, mind you, but very hard. I've held up my end in protecting the circuit, as per my agreement with Bill, but there's an awful lot of folks interested in that pedal, with more time and resources on their hands. So, goop, shmoop, they were gonna reverse it eventually.
How do you re-goop it! 8P

·
Premium Member
16,952 Posts
I thought the KTR's were "ungooped", if that's a word. I guess I could open mine up and take a look :)

For what it's worth JeremyP does excellent work for future reference.

How do you re-goop it! 8P

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the kind words and endorsement! You're making me blush Mark.
B.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks very much Brian, Klon arrived last night and tried it out this morning. Works perfectly! Highly recommend Brian if you need any repairs and he is taking the business of course.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone recommend someone to repair a Klon KTR with a suspected blown Zener?

Bought this one online & it showed up fried, suspect it was plugged into 18v.

I have sourced the replacement Zener diode & have the part on hand, just need the repair tech to swap it out.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks very much Brian, Klon arrived last night and tried it out this morning. Works perfectly! Highly recommend Brian if you need any repairs and he is taking the business of course.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts