The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Charvel (HH) and Kramer (HSH) Superstrat
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm a guitarist in Toronto who loves playing classic rock/pop (70s/80s) music. Not that it has to be limited to that, but mainly the style I enjoy playing.
For all you rock music lovers that are in a band, how'd you find one?
I've been trying for 2 years to find a band via online forums/groups without any luck.
From my observation, all the music groups are filled with styles like country or metal, some jazz and modern pop/hip-hop.
I'd be happy just to get the chance to jam with a drummer, vocalist and a bassist and see where it goes.

Appreciate your response very much and thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm a guitarist in Toronto who loves playing classic rock/pop (70s/80s) music. Not that it has to be limited to that, but mainly the style I enjoy playing.
For all you rock music lovers that are in a band, how'd you find one?
I've been trying for 2 years to find a band via online forums/groups without any luck.
From my observation, all the music groups are filled with styles like country or metal, some jazz and modern pop/hip-hop.
I'd be happy just to get the chance to jam with a drummer, vocalist and a bassist and see where it goes.

Appreciate your response very much and thanks in advance!
I'm in Toronto too! And always up for a jam. I was looking to form a band before as well, to do covers and original tunes. I'm not entirely sure how much our tastes match though haha. I'm a huge blues rock fan and I also love people like John Mayer, Ariel Posen, Joey Landreth etc. Here's my first single that I released, if you like it maybe we can jam :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got to go to open jams and meet people. That way you no what you are getting because you get a chance to see their talent or lack of.
Went to a couple, but most of the folks there have different taste or are indifferent about forming a band.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Toronto too! And always up for a jam. I was looking to form a band before as well, to do covers and original tunes. I'm not entirely sure how much our tastes match though haha. I'm a huge blues rock fan and I also love people like John Mayer, Ariel Posen, Joey Landreth etc. Here's my first single that I released, if you like it maybe we can jam :)

I love Mayer too man, and your single sounds nice! Are you more of a vocals person or a guitarist?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I love Mayer too man, and your single sounds nice! Are you more of a vocals person or a guitarist?
That's awesome! I'm both (or I'd like to think so at least haha). More rhythm guitarist I guess. Working on my lead stuff. I'm always down for a Mayer, Clapton, Hendrix kinda jam if you're up for it. If something works out, we can find a drummer and bassist. I might know a bassist.

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
Got to go to open jams and meet people. That way you no what you are getting because you get a chance to see their talent or lack of.
This.
Went to a couple, but most of the folks there have different taste or are indifferent about forming a band.
Most people aren't going to jump into a band with someone after meeting just once or twice. Too many flakes out there for that. Keep going, build a network, work on your chops, be humble, be nice. A friend of mine always says "serve the song", which means add something tasteful to the mix, but don't dominate - I've been to a lot of jams where hotshot players don't leave any musical space for the other musicians - those players, while talented, find it hard to get into bands.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This.

Most people aren't going to jump into a band with someone after meeting just once or twice. Too many flakes out there for that. Keep going, build a network, work on your chops, be humble, be nice. A friend of mine always says "serve the song", which means add something tasteful to the mix, but don't dominate - I've been to a lot of jams where hotshot players don't leave any musical space for the other musicians - those players, while talented, find it hard to get into bands.
Of course, but one won't know that until they jam a couple of times right? So they'll need to give it a chance first before being able to come to that conclusion as to whether there's that compatibility or not. My point is that it's very difficult to find someone willing to get along in the first place, let alone reach that level of comfort.

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
I usually start off by teaming with someone. A singer, another guitar player, a bass player and there was a time it was just me and a drummer. I've seen ads by guitar players looking for a whole band and I just shake my head. That usually never happens unless a band has lost their guitar player. Another thing is, you will need a place to jam. All these years those are the 2 things that I started with, another musician and the jam space. I've been forming my own bands since 2005. I've had a 4 piece classic rock band, a 7 piece r&b/Jazz band, a 5 piece original blues/r&b band, a 6 piece blues/r&b cover band and now a sax/vocals and guitar duo. All had different personnel except for the sax player right now, who I've played with in the previous 7-piece R&B/Jazz band. As for looking for members, I have been going to bandmix.ca. I've had a number of people become members of my band from the site.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
Of course, but one won't know that until they jam a couple of times right? So they'll need to give it a chance first before being able to come to that conclusion as to whether there's that compatibility or not. My point is that it's very difficult to find someone willing to get along in the first place, let alone reach that level of comfort.
Use your networks. You might be surprised how many acquaintances of first or second degree separation play an instrument. For me, I just decided one day to pickup guitar. Then my brother decided to pickup drums. He knew a singer, the singer knew a bass player and I had met a lead guitarist through a Kijiji transaction. Voila, we've been playing together for almost two years now.

·
Registered
Telecaster & 339
625 Posts
This has worked really well for me. PM me and I'll send you an actual example :)

Post a clear, assertive Kijiji ad for -one- musician at a time.
  • Clearly state exactly what you'd ideally like to have, and what you're looking for.
  • Never be 'easy goin' up front; that's just asking for idiots you'd never want to play with leaving you down & out about ever posting an ad.
  • So create a self filtering ad that works for you to weed out the people you'd never want to hear from.
  • State your skill level & what level you're comfortable playing with.
  • Link to your songlist, so a potential musician sees exactly what music you're into.
  • Clearly state what you're not looking for.
  • State what attitudes are important to you : drinkin, timeliness, distance, commitment level, availability, shred vs soul.. whatever's important to you.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I usually start off by teaming with someone. A singer, another guitar player, a bass player and there was a time it was just me and a drummer. I've seen ads by guitar players looking for a whole band and I just shake my head. That usually never happens unless a band has lost their guitar player. Another thing is, you will need a place to jam. All these years those are the 2 things that I started with, another musician and the jam space. I've been forming my own bands since 2005. I've had a 4 piece classic rock band, a 7 piece r&b/Jazz band, a 5 piece original blues/r&b band, a 6 piece blues/r&b cover band and now a sax/vocals and guitar duo. All had different personnel except for the sax player right now, who I've played with in the previous 7-piece R&B/Jazz band. As for looking for members, I have been going to bandmix.ca. I've had a number of people become members of my band from the site.
Thanks! Will check that out!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm always looking to play more music. You could PM me or when this Covid thing is under control, come to one of the group jams we advertise here.
Would love that, thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This has worked really well for me. PM me and I'll send you an actual example :)

Post a clear, assertive Kijiji ad for -one- musician at a time.
  • Clearly state exactly what you'd ideally like to have, and what you're looking for.
  • Never be 'easy goin' up front; that's just asking for idiots you'd never want to play with leaving you down & out about ever posting an ad.
  • So create a self filtering ad that works for you to weed out the people you'd never want to hear from.
  • State your skill level & what level you're comfortable playing with.
  • Link to your songlist, so a potential musician sees exactly what music you're into.
  • Clearly state what you're not looking for.
  • State what attitudes are important to you : drinkin, timeliness, distance, commitment level, availability, shred vs soul.. whatever's important to you.
Good luck.
Thank you for the advice!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts