The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I play in a rock/folk/indie band and i'm looking to up/down grade my current amp. I'm playing through a Mesa Nomad 45 2x12 right now, and i'm having a hard time justifying such a heavy/big amp. I love the tones out of the Nomad, and I love that it has 3 channels with a boost channel and reverb on the footswitch (I dont necessarily need that many options on a new amp, I think i should simplify my setup a bit in this regard).

I've been looking at amps such as:

Mesa Mark I
Mesa Mark IV
Matchless
Bad Cat
Fender

Can anyone else think of another brand of amp I should take a look at?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If you are going Fender: Definately get a vintage one over a new one. They sound better and appreciate in value. In alot of cases don't cost as much as new one as well.

I'm not much of a Mesa guy, but I have 2 Bad Cat's and love them both. Matchless makes a great amp as well.

Maybe look at Dr. Z, Star Amplfication and the Marshall 1974x 18 Watt.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I use a 50 watt V Series amp (by Crate). I know Crate has had a bad rep over the years and I never thought I,d own one but I,ve had zero reliability issues with it and the tones and versatility are amazing (mine has the Hempcore Tone Tubby speaker, 4 12ax7a in the pre and 2 el34 in the power section). They come in 5 to 50 watt combos and a 30 watt head. Might be worth a look. (Billy Gibbons uses the 50 watt version if that means anything)

Tarl

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to stay away from Fender amps for the most part. But i'm not limiting my choices, if i find the perfect amp, i'll jump on it.

Keep em coming. I've never heard of Star Amp's or Dr Z before, so i'll have to look into those..
As for Crate, youre right, i'm a little reluctant to go in that direction, mainly because my dad had some major problems with a bass amp from them once.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...my traynor is practically the perfect combo, in my opinion. i've had mine (ycv40wr) for something like five years, and it has completely cured me of amp GAS. its the one part of my rig that i no longer give any thought to. i am still buying and selling pedals and re-evaluating my whole approach, and am always looking for my next guitar purchase, but i rarely even look at amps anymore. the only way i could improve on it would be to add an extension cab, or trade up to an expensive boutique amp.

recently i had to return my overdrive/distortion pedal for repairs, and had to use the traynor's drive channel. i had completely forgotten how great it sounds and how well it responds.

-david
toronto

·
Registered
93 Posts
i love my traynor YCV40, but the fender hot rod deluxe is a great little amp as well.

i'm a sound tech at my university, and a lot of bands are using them these days. they make my job a lot easier.

you can't go wrong with either amp IMO

1 - 6 of 6 Posts