The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I did do a search first but didn't come up with anything too specific. I'm 36 years old and just getting started (well, re-started anyways). So I was looking for a book series or video series that shows you the easy peasy cheater chords, play by numbers, easy read tabs etc.

I'm not going to be a guitar superstar, ever, period. All I'm looking for is the easiest lamer way to sit down and blast out a few songs just for the fun of it. For my own personal enjoyment, and not waste my life playing guitar hero anymore.

If anyone can think of anything that they've come across, please let me know.

I apologize in advance I've offended with my slacker attitude :) But, it's a little late in the game for me.

Thanks for any help,
Clay

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
get a teacher :)

no such thing as late in the game, unless you're dead.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
before I ever played a guitar I sang along to the radio and records for years and knew the lyrics to a lot of songs so when I decided to start playing guiat...later in life that you by the way...I printed out a lot of songs in tab from the net and because I already knew the melodies I just had to learn what chords to play. Also got tone of lessons on modes, scales etcetc just to get my fungers used to the fretboard.
`course many tab sites have been closed down though lots still exist so if you want to play songs you already are familiar with I`d suggest the web as a place to start but by no means only the web, finding a good teacher as others recommend is probably a great idea... though I have no experience with that `cause I can`t find one here but I do intend to look once I get back home for good.
Have fun eh.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'd check out Guitar Pro for tabs. It's great for learning songs. Very versatile software. It even has 'real sound' technology. It sounds like real musical instruments, albeit it sounds rather robotic. If you aren't willing to invest 59$ in that piece of software, you should check out Power Tab. It's free, but the sound, as far as I know, is just MIDI. There are also some open source software that will play Guitar Pro tabs, but I've read those don't always work well.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hey Clay,...If you only want to play for your own enjoyment, and you have a computer, you can do as I do.

Download songs and store them in whatever program you have.(I use itunes, it automatically saves them in alphabetical order).
Download guitar tabs (mostly chords in my case) for the songs that you have or downloaded and store them in a folder. (I created one in "my documents") and give it a name.(clay's tabs or whatever).
Create a desk top shortcut for this folder, and another for the program where your music is kept.
It won't be long before you'll have a good number of tunes to play along with.
Now all you have to do is open the music program and start the first song, then open your tabs folder, click on the first song.
As long as your guitar is in tune, you'll be playing along with the band that recorded the song.

It makes it easier to play, and it's a great way to learn....
If you want a better explanation or more info, don't hesitate to PM or email me.................hope this helps............

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey man:

It's always a good time to start! I personally like the Alfred guitar book. They divide the books into different style like Rock, Blues, Acoustic....and different levels (beginner, intermediate, master) Get the one with the instructional DVD too. It always help to actually see how others play. Good Luck and Enjoy!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thankyou for the good advice!

Thanks for the advice! I do actually have a guitar jedi to help me out... he's a guy from my work. He's been playing for about 20 years. I didn't even know... he works in a different dept. and we don't get to talk much. who knew. :)

But I do definitely like to do things on my own as well. I play sax, so I'm not entirely music deficient ... just guitar deficient. I have a really retarded left hand. It's been broken. Which is why I was looking for cheater chords/ substitute chords. I can't get Mr. pinky to go where he's supposed to go all the time. I'm not sure if I can get around it, or get it trained or not. I hit the registers etc. on the sax with the side of my hand. But if Django can play with 2 fingers - I'll figure out some way to do it.

Thanks again, I'm actually going to go look some of this stuff up right now.

Clay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.