The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously considering flipping my strat for something with humbuckers, and looking for inspiration on options.

I took the strat on trade for a Les Paul. I liked that guitar, but the weight and tuning stability drove me nuts. So that has me hesitant on going back to Gibson, but of course not ruling anything out. As mentioned, wanting dual humbuckers for a heavier sound; think classic hard rock to very early "heavy metal". Not a Floyd Rose fan, so that rules out a lot of Jackson/Charvel/Ibanez options. With a budget in the $1200 neighborhood, PRS options are limited unless something in the SE line catches my attention (haven't so far). Might find some S2 models near there...

Any other brands out there worth looking at? I hear Reverend getting praise. Have any tips on hidden gems?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
335?

I also second Mooh's suggestion of a Godin...plenty of affordable options especially if you go used...heck, you could get a few different Godins with your budget.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
An SG is likely the winner if I go Gibson. Ideally a 61 RI in black...

I had a Peavey Wolfgang before, but it had a Floyd - was actually the straw that broke the camels back, so to speak. Actually forgot they came in hardtail, so I'll look into those!

Personally, given the existing character of the strat, I just can't bring myself to put single sized humbuckers in it. It's a really fine example of a "classic" strat that I think someone else would greatly appreciate as-is (here she is: MJT/Warmoth/Callaham/Suhr Stratocaster 2015 Fiesta Red , except for a recent waterslide addition)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I prefer the EBMM Axis, rather than the Wolfgang, but thats just personal. The floyd does not float so its not an issue.
The Hotrails are a great option though

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you're looking for an LP, check these guys out. They're the union employees that Gibson left behind when they moved from Kalamazoo, MI to Nashville, TN. Excellent guitars:

Heritage Guitars

Everyone's got good suggestions here. I'd add Music Man guitars. I'm very into the Silhouettes and Silhouette Specials. Just picked up this '93 Silo with a Tele setup. Gatton pickups. It's fantastic:

My Silo Special is sweet, too. HSS. Hardly ever play my Strat anymore...and that's saying a LOT.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Everyone's got good suggestions here. I'd add Music Man guitars. I'm very into the Silhouettes and Silhouette Specials. Just picked up this '93 Silo with a Tele setup. Gatton pickups. It's fantastic:
That looks awesome! I loved my stingray bass, so this is probably worth investigating

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Recently picked up a used PRS SE Zach Myers. Two humbuckers, incredible build quality. I did a NGD post a bit farther down in this part of the forum. You won't believe it's an import. New, about $1K CAD, so in your ballpark. Used, a few hundred less than that, easily leaving you enough to change pickups/pots/caps if you like. Very impressive guitar. 24.5" scale length, which seems perfect for me. May not be for you. Good luck in your quest.

(Also comes in an ugly green flame maple.)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts