The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on a project with a singer, its the two of us (one guitar, one singer). So far, we've been lucky enough to play a venue which has a PA set up already for us but now we are looking at an opportunity where we'll need to provide the PA setup. Small venue, and possibly outdoors. We definitely need inputs for a guitar and mic, we should probably have a few extra inputs for a second mic in case I become brave enough to sing back up or haromonies. Also, it would be ideal if we could plug in a phone to run some backing tracks too in case we evolve that way. I'm not sure if a PA speaker stand is necessary, or sitting it on a table will work...? All in one, or separate PA/amp/mixer?

Currently, we are using a 2 channel keyboard amp for rehearsal. And to be honest, it's working pretty well. I think it's a 100w amp (it's old, but it's a Roland CUBE from the 80's). I was looking for a small mixer to add to that set up, but I see that there are some pretty neat looking all in one PA's available too.

Here's the one that caught my eye:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=604212
I'll be in the US in a couple weeks, so I'm not worried about anything other than how big it will be to lug through the airport.

Now, I might be missing out on something important or maybe there are better options available here domestically. Or maybe the keyboard amp we've been using for rehearsal will work fine? Ideally, we present ourselves as much as a professional act as a pair of amateurs possibly can. Any advice on the best gear is much appreciated. I suppose the summary of needs would be: versatile with enough inputs to grow a little within this format, loud enough to play to a room of 50 ppl who are chatting/making noise, reliable & easy to use and set up.

Much thanks in advance for sharing advice and expertise.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I’d be looking at a compact column type setups like the Bose L1, Electro Voice Evolv, Yorkville Excursion, Turbosound Inspire... portable, good dispersion, small footprint.

Another approach for such small venues is to each have their own two channel acoustic amp, say like a Fishman Loudbox, and each plugs their guitar and vocal mic into their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
There are a lot of really good used mixers on the market. You should be able to easily find a four channel mixer for under $100.00. Try to get one with low, mid and high frequency adjustments. I also highly recommend the powered Cerwin Vega CVE-10s. They are great powered speakers for a fantastic price.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
Having either a powered mixer, or a powered speaker might save you a trip compared to having a stand-alone amp. My personal preference would be for a powered speaker if it's a 10" (or maybe 12" if it's light) and you are only using one. Otherwise, I would go with a powered mixer. (I'm getting old, carrying or lifting heavy objects is to be avoided.) I do like to have my speaker on a stand - a bit easier to be heard in the back without blasting the folks at the front.

I would look for a mixer with on-board reverb - I like a bit on both my vocals and guitar.

The portable line-array systems that @dradlin mentioned are amazing, but they are expensive and don't show up on the used market very often.

The acoustic amp idea is also a good one. Some have a mount for a stand, which is a feature I like.

Yorkville, Yamaha, and Mackie mixers, amps, and speakers are pretty robust and can be found fairly readily and economically on the used market.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great info guys, thank-you! So now, I'm thinking that my current set up would benefit from a mixer, so I'll keep on eye on Kijiji for a mixer that I can use with it to add an extra channel for now & allow me to upgrade later (ie: run more channels, or use a larger powered monitor or amp). Do I want a powered mixer? I plan to use this for rehearsal and live, not recording. I don't think I need phantom power for any mics (and I'm assuming that's what we use 'powered' mixers for)...

But I think I'll also pick up one of the monoprice PA's that I linked to when I'm down South if they are still on sale. I mean, they have one with a 10" speaker for $89, a 12" speaker for $112, and a 15" speaker for $126 USD. All have a 3 ch mixer and are powered monitors - based on the specs, they seem like a bargain. I did get one of their tube amps last time I went South and it's made a great practice amp for running around town and so on.

·
Premium Member
4,278 Posts
Pretty much all mixers can provide phantom power so I doubt you’ll find one without that feature. It’s good to have just in case you get a condenser mic someday.

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
"Powered mixer" means it has a built-in amplifier. Like @1SweetRide said, you probably won't find a mixer without phantom power and it's good to have - both for condenser mics and active DIs (which will make your guitar sound even sweeter).

FWIW, those prices sound a little TOO cheap - "When you buy quality, you only cry once."

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
A friend of mine plays as a duo in bars. Went to see him a few time in the last few months. He has a Bose system and the sound is amazing... don' know the exact model but I saw him in smaller venues (80-100) and larger (350-400) and the sound was great in both. ..

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
An off brand for a hundred bucks from monoprice would surely disappoint.

If you want to go the route of a powered speaker, I’d consider an Electro Voice ZLX12P to be an exceptional value new at $450, and that price would be the least one should spend on a quality new product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All good advice. I hadn't even considered flying to be an issue, so yes, that's not a problem I need. And I understand what the diff between powered/vs unpowered now. thank-you thank-you... What I want is an unpowered mixer because I have everything going through a keyboard amp (which is powered). With the unpowered mixer, I'll be able to mix and match amps and speakers to grow with this set up I'm thinking. So, maybe best then now for me to hunt down an unpowered mixer and continue to research and learn a little more about what's available for powered PA's and amp/unpowered PA options.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
In a similar boat several years ago, I picked up a pair of Alto TS110's ($249 ea at the time) and a well-featured Alto mixer (8 channels - 4 w/XLR and effects) for about $120. This is not a "cream-of-the-crop" setup but it proves itself weekly taking two, guitars, two vocals, and a drum machine. The TS110's also see duty as our monitors with the full band.

If I'd had a larger budget I'd have bought more expensive stuff - but the fact is this setup has been perfect and cheap to boot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts