The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I have been in Mexico for almost 6 months. We were hoping to find a place to live here but it doesn't look like it's going to happen. We were in BC for the last few years but it's way too expensive for us to buy a home there so we've been considering a few places in Eastern Canada. I'm pretty sure we could do the snow bird thing and skip at least three months of winter so the weather probably isn't that big a deal to us.

Montreal looks exciting but it's right at the top of our housing budget and I'm not sure I want to go back to real big city living. Halifax looks like it may be a good compromise with housing right in our price range and enough urban amenities

Any thoughts? TIA.

·
Premium Member
13,355 Posts
Do some research into the weather out there over the last year or so. It can be,... less boring , than Vancouver.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do some research into the weather out there over the last year or so. It can be,... less boring , than Vancouver.
I've looked. I probably wouldn't consider it if I had to stay all winter but I think we can go somewhere warm for a stretch like December 15 to March 15. As for Vancouver, buying a home is so far out of our range that I doubt if we could buy a closet.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
I wouldn't mind retiring out east some day, near the ocean...maybe Moncton. PEI is nice as well.

·
Premium Member
1,450 Posts
Vancouver sucks anyway.

There are many lovely areas in this country that are worthy but for your winter caveat.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should probably add that we've also considered Ottawa, Kingston, and Moncton. Halifax just seems to check the most boxes for me (especially for housing) while my wife likes tbe idea of Montreal.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Quebec City is pretty fantastic too... especially if you're not spending the winter there. Another option to consider.

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
1) From what I've seen, visiting, and bringing our son back to school, Halifax/Dartmouth is a really nice place to live. I would say as high a quality of life as Victoria (where we lived for 4-1/2 years) although a wee bit snowier and cooler, being on the East, rather than West, coast. Dartmouth is cheaper than Halifax. Think of it like Esquimault is to Victoria. The suburbs are like suburbs anywhere, but "the peninsula" is lovely. Lots of small commercial properties available, so that means plenty of one-of-a-kind businesses. The new library is FABULOUS. I nice city for walking around in. Saturday mornings in the 3 farmers markets are wonderful. I loved Fredericton's farmers market on Saturday morning, but Halifax has 3 close to each other.

2) The Lunenberg county area is apparently an up-and-comer for folks past 50. Lunenburg and Municipality of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia Same weather, I gather. Not THAT far from Halifax. Don't know what your comfort range is with prices, but these seem pretty reasonable. https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Real-Estate-Listings/NS/Lunenburg.htmlhttp://www.lunenburg.ca/

3) Kingston is quite nice, although I think a bit pricier than the east coast. There's a LOT of ex-GTA folks who look for properties in the 1000 Islands region, and that tends to drive the prive up. Not quite Mexican climes, but anything close to Lake Ontario is generally minimal snow when we make our Ottawa-to-Orillia pilgrimage every Christmas break. Drive 25km north of the lake or St.Lawrence, and the snow returns. It's a bit like the difference between Duncan and Victoria.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1) From what I've seen, visiting, and bringing our son back to school, Halifax/Dartmouth is a really nice place to live. I would say as high a quality of life as Victoria (where we lived for 4-1/2 years) although a wee bit snowier and cooler, being on the East, rather than West, coast. Dartmouth is cheaper than Halifax. Think of it like Esquimault is to Victoria. The suburbs are like suburbs anywhere, but "the peninsula" is lovely. Lots of small commercial properties available, so that means plenty of one-of-a-kind businesses. The new library is FABULOUS. I nice city for walking around in. Saturday mornings in the 3 farmers markets are wonderful. I loved Fredericton's farmers market on Saturday morning, but Halifax has 3 close to each other.

2) The Lunenberg county area is apparently an up-and-comer for folks past 50. Lunenburg and Municipality of Lunenburg, Nova Scotia Same weather, I gather. Not THAT far from Halifax. Don't know what your comfort range is with prices, but these seem pretty reasonable. https://www.point2homes.com/CA/Real-Estate-Listings/NS/Lunenburg.htmlhttp://www.lunenburg.ca/

3) Kingston is quite nice, although I think a bit pricier than the east coast. There's a LOT of ex-GTA folks who look for properties in the 1000 Islands region, and that tends to drive the prive up. Not quite Mexican climes, but anything close to Lake Ontario is generally minimal snow when we make our Ottawa-to-Orillia pilgrimage every Christmas break. Drive 25km north of the lake or St.Lawrence, and the snow returns. It's a bit like the difference between Duncan and Victoria.
Really useful info. Thanks. (And Deborah thanks you too).

·
Premium Member
26,641 Posts
Gananoque is kinda cute. You cantraipse through it via Streetview. We went to a literary festival there two years ago that we quite enjoyed. Home

Not a LOT of good places to eat, but both Kingston and Belleville aren't far away. A surfeit of Victorian era homes. Close to the Ivy Lea bridge that brings you stateside.

·
Premium Member
11,675 Posts
We liked the Bridgewater NS area when we visited several times. Also liked PEI a lot, in fact Mrs. Mooh all but begged me to return home alone and return with all our belongings. Several places along the St. John River NB, not far off the Trans Canada were lovely too.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts