The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week I will be getting a bonus from work (lucky me!) so of course I have been thinking of a new axe. I,m torn between a Les Paul copy/clone or a 335 copy/clone. So far the front runners so far are the Epiphone and Tokai (MIK) les pauls and the Epi Dot or the Washburn HB 35. I prefer slimmer necks and the Epi LP classic with the 60,s neck feels better to me than the standards. I cannot try out the Tokai as there is no dealer here. I tried 4 dots and only 1 sounded and felt really good to me. Both Washburns I tried seemed really good as well. Any ideas of the neck profile on the Tokais? Any other options that I should look at for a budget of $900?

·
Registered
872 Posts
Hmm Never played a LP style Tokai but I have played other Tokais and was impressed. Some of the Epis are nice but like you already found out they can be hit and miss. Or you can bite the bullet and buy the real deal!! I was playing this today and it was sweet. LP Standard with a nice big 50's neck(I pefer big necks)

·
Premium Member
13,045 Posts
This is a Canadian Dealer for MIK Tokais

http://www.jsdguitarshack.com/tokai_electric_guitars.html

I've tried a few at Steve's Music. They were fine. But what really impressed me was the PRS Custom SE. They run about $100 more than the Tokais, but are still in within your budget.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestion....think I will take a look at the SE.

·
Registered
76 Posts
New

Have you checked out the Godin's? They're a lot of guitar for the money, plus they throw in a really nice gig bag!

If you like thin necks, check out the Godin Freeway Classic. I have one with a blonde finger board and I'm playing it more than my USA strat...

Jeff

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
When you start hitting that high a price point, why don't you look for a used Gibson LP? You should easily get into a Studio for that. Possibly even a Classic or a Standard.
In the 335 style I think the Epis can be quite nice. Good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
for the money, the tokai's are a much nicer guitar than the epiphones. IMO

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried a few Gibson LPs (standard and Studio) and just do not like the chunky neck on them. Also tried a PRS Custom SE and a Singlecut SE...nice guitars but ditto on the neck. I am leaning more towards the Washburn HB 35 with the MIK Tokai Love Rock a close second. Just wish I could get a feeling for the neck on the Tokai. I already own an Ibanez and a Godin so am looking for something different to add to the arsenal. Thanks for all the ideas/opinions....I,ll let you folks know what I end up with.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Everyone has their own perception on what is considered thick or thin so trying to explain neck size is sometimes hard. In my opinion and many customer's opinions the neck on the Love Rock is very comfortable, its not baseball bat thick like the '50s style but its not quite '60 slim either, its just right.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts