The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been listening to Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys, Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant (my god!!!), Hank Williams Sr, Biller and Wakefield, and have been totally digging country swing.

I'm looking for similar artists that have that blend of jazz and country. Rockabilly is cool too, but I don't like anything headed towards "surf guitar."

Anyone else into this stuff?

TG

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the recommendations guys but Junior Brown doesn't do it for me. I hear country there, I hear 1950s rock, but I am looking more for a pre-rock sound: think 30s and 40s jazz meets country.

Thanks nonetheless,
TG

·
Premium Member
3,958 Posts
I've been listening to Bob Willis and the Texas Playboys, Speedy West and Jimmy Bryant (my god!!!), Hank Williams Sr, Biller and Wakefield, and have been totally digging country swing.

I'm looking for similar artists that have that blend of jazz and country. Rockabilly is cool too, but I don't like anything headed towards "surf guitar."

Anyone else into this stuff?

TG

Danny Gatton did some good stuff in a jazzy vein... eg. "Relentless" with Joey Defrancesco (B3 player), or a Various Artists one called "New York Stories".

Asleep at the Wheel in their many incarnations are always good too.

edit: and don't forget Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks.

-Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts