The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,013 Posts
Can you be more specific as to what you're looking for?

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
As @Diablo indicated, not quite sure what you are looking for but here's a few options I currently use.

There is no one perfect solution. I use a stand alone humidifier in the bedroom and the music room and a main one attached to the furnace. All of them help a bit and my focus for the stand alone units is air quality. The Boneco that i purchased from Costco is good value as is the r2d2 looking unit. My wife loves the Dyson in our bedroom (quiet and clean air).
IMG_8517.JPG
IMG_8522.JPG
IMG_8521.JPG
IMG_8519.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Way too dry in my place. Looking to buy a humidifier for 2 story home.
If you have a gas/forced air furnace I would suggest having a central humidifier installed. Any good HVAC company can do it. I use/recommend Appleby Systems here around Oakville. One thing I would suggest if you do, get the ducts cleaned as well.

·
Registered
726 Posts
As @Diablo indicated, not quite sure what you are looking for but here's a few options I currently use.

There is no one perfect solution. I use a stand alone humidifier in the bedroom and the music room and a main one attached to the furnace. All of them help a bit and my focus for the stand alone units is air quality. The Boneco that i purchased from Costco is good value as is the r2d2 looking unit. My wife loves the Dyson in our bedroom (quiet and clean air).
View attachment 154961 View attachment 154977 View attachment 154985 View attachment 154993
Nicely done! I’d love all that; hate dry winter air.

Did you install the furnace unit, or have someone put it in?

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Not really sure what I'm looking for. Have forced air oil and I've read a little about one's that attach to a furnace but I will look at all options that are suggested here and go from there. Humidity in my kitchen is 12% today.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
My parents had one attached to a forced oil furnace that was later converted to gas.

The humidifier drum and float that controlled water level were always getting scuzzed up with calcium or whatever deposits from the hard water so needed to be cleaned a lot.

Maybe things are better now but it’s something to keep in mind and ask about when you’re talking to the vendors.

I’m using a console unit holds about five gallons. Humidity in my condo is 47 right now but the humidifier is going through about 3 gallons a day in this -20 shit we got.

·
Premium Member
4,536 Posts
this is the one I use. It's good for 2000 sq feet, has 2 huge tanks. It's in a bedroom so the tanks last forever. It's advertised as a whole house humidier. This particular one is disco'd but i'm sure they have something to replace it with. Bionaire is the brand
upload_2018-1-1_14-25-13.jpeg

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
We have no curtain in the house. Wooden floor indicates dryness when spaces appear : A wet mop would help...

I banned electronic humidifier after I read they spread microparticules that could damage other electronic devices. We do not use any anymore.

A friend of mine leave water in metal bowl on his wood stove and says it is enough.

In my music room, every acoustic has a portable humidifier. I also have a bucket on the floor nearby wall electric heater in which I leave a big sponge almost floating on water, the sponge covered by a piece of towel : it stays constantly wet while making surrounding humidity. I change water everyday to avoid mold. When hygrometer falls under 45%, I hang a wet towel in my music room.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
They are pretty easy to install on your furnace. You just need some tin snips and aluminum duct tape. Im sure there are youtube videos showing you how, and the come with directions. Depending on what kind of water lines you have you may need a plumber. $475 plus tax is a rough estimate for a plumber to do it all.

When its this cold though you can barely run it as you will get too much condensation and icing on your windows.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Started giving likes but I'm liking everything I see that will help make a good decision. Will be buying soon and Happy New Year to all.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Thanks guys. This is exactly what I'm looking for. Started giving likes but I'm liking everything I see that will help make a good decision. Will be buying soon and Happy New Year to all.
Ask your furnace guy before you spend any money on one.

I personally think they are a terrible idea & the furnace guys I talk to think the same.

There are better solutions, whole home humidifiers lead to mold issues.

That’s just my opinion as a 10 year + contractor.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
I have a humidifier unit attached to my furnace. Alberta is fairly dry as a rule so it pumps out humidity all year long. I keep the house (2 story) at a constant 50% humidity for the guitars. Yes, the windows frost around the edges when it gets below about -25 or so. The unit is called a "Wait 5000" also sold as "Air King".

I've never had a mold problem. Growing mold requires approx. 80% humidity

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Yeah, mold may be an issue in southern Ontario as its quite humid there. Never seen an issue here in years in service and countless installations. If anything, its the drum style humidifiers that are constantly moist that will be the problem. They're literally a hot, wet petri dish. They still sell them, but only at homedepot and other DIY retailers and 9.9/10 times have been decommissioned for decades if they have been installed.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
If you have a house with ducts, put one on your furnace. Otherwise you would need at least two for a two storey house; one up and one down. Ducted are the best as they keep the humidity unified throughout your home.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
They are pretty easy to install on your furnace. You just need some tin snips and aluminum duct tape. Im sure there are youtube videos showing you how, and the come with directions. Depending on what kind of water lines you have you may need a plumber. $475 plus tax is a rough estimate for a plumber to do it all.

When its this cold though you can barely run it as you will get too much condensation and icing on your windows.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
If you run your fan on low when the furnace is not on, it will help a lot with this. Ceiling fans also help.

P

·
0 Posts
This is the one I use as well. This year I started putting water purification tablets in the tanks and the machine to keep the pond smell from growing. It is working and the filters are lasting way longer too. I heat with wood, and need 2 of them to keep one room at 50%. With just one it's around 30% when the wood stove is cooking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts