The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
https://www.toneemporium.com is local Ottawa winder
They carry Strat pickups

I got a set of HB sized p90's around Christmas on a blemish sale - they are awesome
I haven't heard their pickups in person, but have seen reasonably good reviews around the web. Looking forward to trying them one day.

Just so there's no confusion though, their pickups are re-branded Asian-made pickups, not wound in-house in Canada.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
I've had JS Moore wind some Jazzmaster pickups for me that were amazing, and most recently had Craig over at Vineham wind a Firebird pickup for me. I would recommend both in a heartbeat, based on the quality of their work!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have a Traynor yba1 mod 1. So I think I'm mostly there. Sent an email to Jon @ JS Moore and got a short response. Will try talking to him again. Just want a good conversation with the winder before going for it. It will be put in a Monty Bluemaster. Thanks Budda for the comment

congrats on your Bluesmaster (any progress pics ?)

....great gtr, great amp (my #1 large amp is a Traynor Mark 3, modded.)

No doubt that thing will sing with pretty much any good PAF attempt, but I can say my Bluesqueen with Jon Moore's in is so incredible responsive, there is so much expression from clean to od .

My suggestion is to NOT wax pot.

I'm very curious to try some of the new breed of Canadian winders listed above.

good luck.!

·
Premium Member
17,197 Posts
I am quite happy with my vineham tele set, so Im excited for my humbuckers to show up! I have a tour to play to baseline the outgoing SD's.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
congrats on your Bluesmaster (any progress pics ?)

....great gtr, great amp (my #1 large amp is a Traynor Mark 3, modded.)

No doubt that thing will sing with pretty much any good PAF attempt, but I can say my Bluesqueen with Jon Moore's in is so incredible responsive, there is so much expression from clean to od .

My suggestion is to NOT wax pot.

I'm very curious to try some of the new breed of Canadian winders listed above.

good luck.!
I haven't got any progress pics unfortunately. I did decide to go with Vineham sweat 59's but with an A2 magnet instead of A4. Don't think the pickups have been ordered by the builder though. Will update when I get word. I'll have to call and see how the build is going.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ash Can Pickups by Ken Holmes is new here in Calgary. Ken is a friend of mine, who winds custom pickups. He also rewinds pickups.
I have a set of Telecaster pickups, which are going into a partscaster. He also did a beautiful job rewinding the neck pickup of my Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I haven't heard their pickups in person, but have seen reasonably good reviews around the web. Looking forward to trying them one day.

Just so there's no confusion though, their pickups are re-branded Asian-made pickups, not wound in-house in Canada.
John are we 100% sure of that?

I have never asked him the origin of his pickups.
I have used some and a friend that builds partscasters loves his stuff.

Todd -
Craig Vineham is excellent to deal with.

Theres also Mcnelley Pickups
Reilander Pickups (in bc)
MJS Pickups
Pickup Wizard

All excellent Canadian pickup winders

Nathan

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,852 Posts
John are we 100% sure of that?
Yes we are. But don't confuse that for thinking they are of inferior quality. If they are made well and sound great, it doesn't matter where they are made. There is no reason to think any less of their pickups just because they are made overseas. If anything, it's nice there is a Canadian brand at a nice price point.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
I've never tried a set of Custom wound from anywhere. So what's the difference in something like a Vinham vs a Duncan for instance? Are you guys finding better clarity and voice? Are they better balanced than something you'd pick up from L&M or online? I hope this isn't a can of worms I'm opening, but I have a feeling it could be. I don't want to throw off the OP's questions or derail, so keep that in mind as well please and thanks.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Recently had Smitty at MJS wind a JM humbucker for me and its terrific. Can tell that he wants to really meet the needs of his customers.

Have had a few McNelly's over the years too and they're good pups but was more satisfied with the MJS experience.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I've never tried a set of Custom wound from anywhere. So what's the difference in something like a Vinham vs a Duncan for instance? Are you guys finding better clarity and voice? Are they better balanced than something you'd pick up from L&M or online? I hope this isn't a can of worms I'm opening, but I have a feeling it could be. I don't want to throw off the OP's questions or derail, so keep that in mind as well please and thanks.
The difference is our dollar sucks.
Big time sucks.

Its literally cheaper in most cases to get a custom wound pickup then a Seymour Duncan.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with seymours pickups but you can get something custom made for less money.

Recently had Smitty at MJS wind a JM humbucker for me and its terrific. Can tell that he wants to really meet the needs of his customers.

Have had a few McNelly's over the years too and they're good pups but was more satisfied with the MJS experience.
Oh man you aren't kidding.
Smitty is ducking fantastic to deal with.
His customer service is Above and beyond.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Yes we are. But don't confuse that for thinking they are of inferior quality. If they are made well and sound great, it doesn't matter where they are made. There is no reason to think any less of their pickups just because they are made overseas. If anything, it's nice there is a Canadian brand at a nice price point.
Thanks

I was pretty sure that was the case at that price point.
I have heard lots of glowing reviews for those pickups.
I loved the one (humbucker sized p90) that I bought from him.

Nathan

·
Premium Member
57 Posts

Thanks - I didn't know. I updated the original post too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I e-mailed the guy over at SoulTone and described what I was looking for in a sound. He got back to me very quickly and recommended one of his sets describing their tone and how he thought they differed from the mim ceramics. I decided to go for it!
Had a look on his facebook page and it looks like he was winding the set last night!SoulTone Pickups

Looking forward to getting these in my strat. I'll post some thoughts once I play them for a while! Cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, I e-mailed the guy over at SoulTone and described what I was looking for in a sound. He got back to me very quickly and recommended one of his sets describing their tone and how he thought they differed from the mim ceramics. I decided to go for it!
Had a look on his facebook page and it looks like he was winding the set last night!SoulTone Pickups

Looking forward to getting these in my strat. I'll post some thoughts once I play them for a while! Cheers
Following up on this post from just under a year ago.

I put soultone's 67 cosmic blues single coil set in my 2002 mim Strat and I can say that I am very pleased with the results. Pickups were wound on order and delivered within a week or two, the price was great and soultone was great to deal with.

The sound is very nice and eliminated the harshness of the stock pickups. The neck pickup is very warm while the neck gives the expected honk/twang... Really a wide range of sounds using the 5 way switch.

I'd recommend giving them a try if your looking to replace some single coils.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am getting a guitar made by a Canadian builder and would like some pick ups for it also from Canada. Looking I guess for vintage PAF sound that is good for blues that can also get some hard rock tones. Think of Slash on AFD but maybe a little less mud in it. Very hard to describe as I do not want his tone exactly but be able to get close if I choose. Like blues and blues influenced rock sound, although open to other styles but that is the base. Talked to a few winders already. Some short responses. I got a great reply from David at Sigil pickups. Good communication there. Let me know some great Canadian pickup makers and give these guys a shout out for their great work. Pleasantly surprised on how much Canadian talent there is in this market.
ColMax Pickups 🎸
Stoney creek

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I have a Traynor yba1 mod 1. So I think I'm mostly there. Sent an email to Jon @ JS Moore and got a short response. Will try
I have the same amp and it definitely does the Marshall thing very well. Love that amp.
I also have a Les Paul with pickups from that guy out east that we won’t mention. They are great at the “tele on steroids” sound. Really good. Too bad the way that turned out.

·
Registered
9,128 Posts
I also have a Les Paul with pickups from that guy out east that we won’t mention. They are great at the “tele on steroids” sound. Really good. Too bad the way that turned out.

Huh?

You need to at least identify the guy, even if you don't give the whole backstory, so that those of us who aren't aware don't mistakenly order from him.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts